Harmony Remote supports Zwave

Marketing!

Reply to
Mark Thomas
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
Okay since I'm a Zwave supporter I thought I would post this.

Reply to
Brian

What "core competency"?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Logitech's (see above) (and CQC and Homeseer's) support of Z-wave, and Crestron's development of proprietary hardware using Zigbee is consistent with the development of two overlapping markets:

Z-wave as a lower cost system with broad acceptance, and

Zigbee, more expensive and appealing to high-end customers such as Crestron (a Cadillac in the hierarchy of HA systems).

(X10 falls some where in the Trablant range in the automotive metaphor ;-)

Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Some might say the same for their cable business too.

Reply to
wkearney99

What, ahead of Bose?

Reply to
wkearney99

What's wierd to me what the announcement I saw that Monster Cable is getting in bed with Zen-Sys. That's a pretty odd pairing. Automation is way out of the core competency of Monster Cable.

------------------------------------- Dean Roddey Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
Dean Roddey

An the core competency of Monster Cable other than claiming to make electrons travel faster in little wires than big wires and bilking folks is ... ? ;-)

$4,500 buys you:

formatting link
which is:

one 8?ft. pair of speaker cables one 3?ft. pair and one 6?ft. pair of RCA cables carrying case (!)

Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
MFHult

Monster Cable should be given due respect for their core competency - Marketing! You've GOT to hand it to these guys. They can actually list 3 cables and a briefcase for $4500 and keep a straight face! The most expensive part of the package ($15 bucks out of China?) is the "deep drawn satin briefcase" (which I'm sure enhances the sound somehow). Their creative writing on how the cables "recreate" a lifelike audio experience has got to make one laugh. It's a frakin' copper wire!! And their characterization of PEX as an exotic material that won't interact with copper(the same PEX commonly used for household plumbing) is priceless - all of a sudden plastic insulation degrades copper? Oh, wait a minute - PEX is plastic too! These guys are the Grand Masters of bovine excrement who stand with the greats such as P.T. Barnum who knew that there's a sucker born every minute! If I heard a dealer recommend a Monster product I would have to discount anything else that came out of his mouth and find myself a new dealer.

From:Robert L Bass snipped-for-privacy@bassburglaralarms.com

Reply to
BruceR

Right up there with Amar, eh? :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I can. Controlling a home theater or even a multi-room audio / video system requires very little bandwidth. There are only a few command strings needed and communications only occur when you want something to change.

An HT system might need commands for System On/Off, Source Select, Volume Up/Down, Transport Controls (RW, Play, Pause, FF, Stop, Select) and such. It would be trivial to teach a Zwave enabled interface device to send IR or wired-in commands to most conventional HT gear upon receipt of specific Zwave radio signals.

Remember, you don't need to send audio or video via Zwave -- only the commands to operate the gear. With Intel developing a Zwave compatible µProcessor it may be only a year or two before we see Zwave enabled PCs.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Ok, well, I was trying to be generous :-) I guess that, even if you thought that their cables were the greatest thing since platinum infused, hydrogen rich copper braided bread, the connection with home automation. Though, they will have all of the Best Buys and Circuit Citys in the country at their disposal to sell whatever they come up with.

The problem of course is that you can't really control a lot of stuff purely through a technology like Z-Wave. It's not a general purpose control mechanism. It would always have to be used outboard from existing equipment and it can't handle the transmission speeds of even moderately fast serial devices.

So it's kind of like Firewire and their HAVi stuff (did I capitalize that right?) If your scheme depends on the mountain coming to you, it'll never work except within a limited universe that almost no one really lives in. So unless Monster is going to make Z-Wave enabled A/V Processors and such, I can't see how they expect to really control a home theater via this scheme. They could control the lighting, but no one needs Monster to do that. They could buy a couple of existing lamp modules and a Z-Wave remote and do that.

So maybe I'm missing some really obvious way that Z-Wave could be used in theater automation, but the concept seems kind of iffy to me.

------------------------------------- Dean Roddey Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems

formatting link

Reply to
Dean Roddey

You should talk!! Your website states quite clearly that you have "27 years in... installation and service". You're an online retailer and have been so for the past nine years. When have you "installed and serviced" anything in those last nine years... particularly in the last six since you moved to Florida (a state that requires technicians to be LICENSED, bonded, and insured).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Your tirades against Bass are tiresome and worn out Frank.

Unless you have a business relationship with Bass, you are out of place with your criticisms.

I have no reason to deal with Robert Bass, but would not hesitate to do so. I'd never do business with you or any firm you might promote. You are doing more damage to your reputation than Robert Bass's reputation.

I usually don't call people names, but frankly you are an idiot.

Reply to
Jack Ak

I've stopped "tirading" against Robert for many months. Of course that depends on your definition of the word "tirade". I've noticed many of the regulars here are fairly "liberal" both with their opinions and their definitions. I only pointed out that Robert can be accused of the very same marketing "tactics" employed by Monster. It's a case of the "pot" calling the "kettle" black.

As for your arguing with an "idiot", what does that make you?? :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

Someone else who's tired of your stupidity Frank. Like the rest of us.

Reply to
wkearney99

Yeah... I guess I haven't "contributed" enough useful information to get away with the things Robert does... Or is the criteria based on the number of years you've been participating here??

Reply to
Frank Olson

Got that right. Stick to posting help, without bashing other folks and you're as welcome as anyone else. Unfortunately you've shown a distinct inability to do this for any reasonable length of time.

Reply to
wkearney99

Define "any reasonable lenght of time". For me that's like 45 minutes. :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

Frank, it's pretty clear to all of us you only contribute to CHA in the belief that it earns you "bashing points." That's not how it works. The day that you can post 10 Bass-free messages in a row is the day someone

*might* take you seriously -- maybe. I have no doubt that's impossible for you. Three Bass-free messages are about as far as I have even seen you go and then once again, it's:

"How many fingers am I holding up?"

"Bob Bass"

"What color is the sky?"

"Bob Bass"

"Who's your daddy?"

.. . .

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.