Halogen Bulbs mr16

I don't know much about these things but have been lookin for some cheaper bulbs on ebay and other online stores. I see there are some with 24 degrees, 36 degrees, etc some with and without covers. What does that mean and what should i be looking at getting? Is there anything I should or should not look for when buying these things? These will be used more for accent lighting in a track. Thanks for the help in advance

Reply to
aolson
Loading thread data ...

The angle is how much the light disperses. A low angle will give you more intense spot illumination while a higher angle will have the light spread out for more even coverage. Auction 4418657689 includes a good diagram of how much the light spreads.

A cover or lens would keep dust from getting into the reflector in dusty location, and make it easy to clean.

I wonder if anyone has experience with the LED versions? I have been considering them as an incandescent replacement for dimmable lights that are on 24/7.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Well that too;-) But ore importantly, UL now _requires_ that the 'quartz' envelope containing the filament be covered with protective, UV-absorbing glass in order for open-lamp luminaries to receive UL listing.

formatting link
Too many fires from those infamous torchieres.

formatting link
HTH ... Marc Marc_F_Hult
formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Good info Marc,

But I thought the fire hazard was from those big multi-hundred watt quartz floor lamps where drapes could fall on the hot bulb. I remember the problem several ago, and the related recalls and retrofits. I didn't think it was an issue for the 20 to 75 watt ceiling spot fixtures. There were already UL regulations in place to keep combustables away from such fixtures.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Right. 500 watt lamps previously used in torchieres no longer meet UL/US code. The max allowed in now 300 watts.

An important mechanism in halogen lamps is the maintenance of the envelope/capsule at a high temperature in order to reduce condensation of tungsten on the walls and allow regeneneration of the filament through what is dubbed the "halogen cycle". So the capsule of even small halogen lamps may be very hot by design. Also the cover glass protects against glass shards should the capsule shatter.

Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.