Hail request?

I'm looking at my Homseer Event log and see "B Hail Request". What does that mean? Thanks

Reply to
Doug Fitzpatrick
Loading thread data ...

It could mean another controller is checking to see whether anybody is using the B housecode. That was X-10's intention. Few implementations use it.

These days (post X-10's patent expiration) it might mean that some third party is using it in a non-conventional way. I vaguely recall seeing something recently that was using it but cannot recall the details.

Or it might just be the detritus from a powerline collision between two valid X-10 signals. While rare, it does happen.

How often do you see it?

Have you recently added some new X-10 gizmo?

"Doug Fitzpatrick" wrote:

Reply to
Dave Houston

PCS uses the Hail_Request and Hail_Ack signals to implement a

0.5% micro-dim/bright in their dimmers. If that's the source of Doug's log entry, one would expect to see a _lot_ of them.

X10's CM15A firmware resp> It could mean another controller is checking to see whether anybody is using

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

That's the one I was trying to recall.

ACT also used it to configure some of their A10 devices.

Th>PCS uses the Hail_Request and Hail_Ack signals to implement a

Reply to
Dave Houston

It looks like it has happened about 8 times over the last two days. I see it is different house codes. I'm also seeing all kinds of x-10 activity on a lot of different housecodes. All lights On, Dim,Status requests,etc.

No. Pretty simple setup here. I use it to control 5 outside lights. House code I use is "I".

2 Leviton HCM06 switches. Leviton's coupler/repeater. Homeseer. CM11A. I had to reboot the machine, so I'll watch the log and see if it appears again.
Reply to
Doug Fitzpatrick

The first two things to check are the CM11A and the coupler/repeater.

If the serial cable is connected to the CM11A but not to the computer it can spew out a steady stream of spurious commands. Since you're seeing these in a computer log this is probably not the cause.

Many pe>>

Reply to
Dave Houston

The error light is flashing on the repeater. This means there is noise on the line. I'll have to track it down with my Elk ESM1.

Reply to
Doug Fitzpatrick

If you turn off the repeater the ESM1 will likely show nothing on either phase.

Reply to
Dave Houston

I turned off the repeater and all the wierdness disappeared. I guess the repeater has gone bad.

Reply to
Doug Fitzpatrick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.