HAI OMNI PRO II Light switches

I want to control mostly lights and scenes with this HA unit. I already have it. When I went to their website they recommend upb switches and dimmers. Only problem is that these switches sell on average for $80. Are these things worth it? The unit will apparantly control x10 too. I hear a lot of bad things about x10 though.

Any comments opions or experiance will be appreaciated. Thanks PaUL.

Reply to
Paul Brewington
Loading thread data ...

We sell UPB dimmers for just under $72. Switches run about $31.

They cost a bit more than Z-Wave, which is another viable option. The two technologies use different protocols but can accomplish the same task.

X10 has been around for many years. It works but you may need to tweak it a bit to keep it functioning. You may need filters, signal boosters, repeaters, etc., to make it reach all parts of the home and to avoid having the X10 signal sucked up by things like PC power supplies. Some believe X10 offers the best bang/buck ratio. Others dislike it, pointing out the amount of attention it requres to keep it going as well as the low quality hardware that X10 and several other X10 look-alikes make.

I don't use it because I want my system to work without forcing the homeowner to keep adding gear just to keep it running.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Do you recommend these over x10, insteon, etc?

technologies use different protocols but can accomplish

bit to keep it functioning. You may need filters,

avoid having the X10 signal sucked up by things like

dislike it, pointing out the amount of attention it

several other X10 look-alikes make.

to keep adding gear just to keep it running.

Reply to
Paul Brewington

It would not be fair for me to *recommend* something which I sell as better than Insteon, which I don't sell. I have some genuine concerns about Insteon and the company that makes it which I have expressed here in another recent thread.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Robert isn't the person to provide you a proper answer to this question. Why not ask him about the 25 or so complaints against him at the BBB?

Reply to
Frank Olson

Maybe I should restate my question.

Why are UPB modules so much more expensive that x10 type and is the differance worth it? I want to purchase about 20 dimmers/switches. Will I be sorry if I go with the x10? Also is the HAI omnie II pro a good controller?

Thanks PAul.

Reply to
Paul Brewington

Some of us may have some disagreement with this. Our Leviton "red line" X10 switches have worked flawlessly since their installation several years ago. They have true rocker action, ramp on and off, and respond to pre-set dim commands. They can also be grouped into scenes so a single X10 command can control several independent switches. As I recall, they were about $40 each.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

The HAI Omni II Pro is an excellent controller, IMO. You really can't go wrong with that. UPB switches are much more reliable and have many more features than your typical X10, so there is really no comparison. Also, the HAI UPB switches integrate seamlessly with the OPII, but you can also use other brands of UPB modules as well. On the downside is the cost of course. You should be able to do a bit better than $80/dimmer if you look around a bit

formatting link
is my favorite place).

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Delaney

Because PCS thinks people will pay the higher price. There was a post here

3-4 years ago from the president of PCS announcing UPB (about a year before it came to market) in which he said it only added a few dollars to the cost of a module.

It is a two-way protocol so is inherently more reliable than X-10 which is essentially one-way but whether it's worth the premium price depends on individual preference and judgement.

The OmniPro II has a good reputation.

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

X10, which has been around for a long time, has long since recaptured its development cost. Also, most of the components themselves are cheaply made. Finally, due to its widespread use economies of scale lower production costs.

The few UPB modules I've seen were a bit more robust. They're also newer and there's more to them so development and production costs are higher. They'll likely come down a bit with time but X10 will probably always be the cheapest solution.

That depends on how much you like tweaking the system each time it breaks. Changes to other things (adding / moving a PC or a UPS, plugging in certain types of appliances, etc.) can cause problems. They're usually fixable but you do have to fuss with it from time to time to keep it going.

Yes. There are also others which you should probably consider. The ELK-M1G is a very capable HA/security controller with a few interesting features not available on the Omni. For one, it accepts analog as well as digital (on & off) sensors. You can read things like temperature, brightness, relative humidity, etc. with the right sensors and make decisions about when to turn things like sprinklers on and for how long.

ELK's tech support is friendlier to DIYers than HAI. They also give a lot more for the money and the controls are a little less costly. They offer more lighting control options as well. Software is free (expensive with HAI). Firmware upgrades are a free download (buy new chips from HAI).

FWIW, I'm not trying to denigrate HAI. I consider the Omni a robust, capable product. I just feel that ELK offers more in some significant areas and at a lower overall cost. It can be a tough choice between the two. Obviously, since I'm an ELK dealer (they have links to my store on their website) I have a bias in their favor. I happen to believe they deserve it.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

True indeed, Jeff. The red line series are much better built than anything from X10.com.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.