HA software suggestions

Hey folks. I'm helping my parents to set up a basic HA system for their new house. It will be primarily for controlling lighting via dimmers, lamp/appliance modules, and a few in line modules. Probably a total of about

20 or so receiver modules in the system. At some point, I'd like to automate their A/V system. Their house is wired for distributed audio and this will likely be a fairly simple system with volume controls wired in J-Boxes and speakers in the ceiling. They are technically competent but not savy and so I'd like to set up a fairly robust system for them based on the following:

SmartHome SwitchLinc dimmers (probably the basic units), X10 compatible. Leviton InLine Modules X10 or RadioShack lamp and appliance modules RF receiver (Leviton?) for all housecodes RF remote (Leviton or X10 5 in 1?) SmartHome PowerLinc USB SmartHome repeater (the kind that fits into a dryer 220V outlet and repeats the signal across both legs of the 220V).

They've already gotten a few lamp modules, dimmers, the RF remote (and receiver) from an ActiveHome kit. They also have a couple of SwitchLincs I picked up for them and a PowerLinc USB controller I purchased for them. This came with SmartHome software, which I find cumbersome on my own system. I'd like to get them some software to run all of this stuff that is easy to use and fairly user friendly. Any suggestions?

Also, anything I'm forgetting that we should install for future upgrades? My dad is really excited about getting his new house all tricked out with HA stuff, so I'd like to help him out.

Thanks...

Craig

Reply to
CeeDub
Loading thread data ...

Craig,

I have been using HAL software for a number of years. It allows the user to control everything by voice or web. It's very cool. You can read more about my system here:

formatting link
Additionally, you can download HAL software and use it for 30 days for free. It will work with the hardware that you already mentioned. Give it a try and see what you think.

formatting link
They also have a strong userbase that is active on the following forum:

formatting link
Best of luck in Home Automation

Jim Lipsit

Reply to
jlipsit

Jim:

Yeah, I saw HAL as one option. It looks pretty interesting, but at Smarthome, they have several versions. Some of these come with what appears to be a modem. At this point, my parents really don't need to have modem control of their HA, just a simple and reliable system that can expand with their needs. Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely download the trial program and check it out.

Cheers...

Craig

Reply to
CeeDub

Craig,

The model is a voice modem. It allows yu to pick up any phone in the house and control the house by voice commands - you can call in from your cell phone or any phone in the world and speak voice commands like:

Turn on the front door lights- Turn off the television- Open the garage door-

Take care,

Jim

Reply to
jlipsit

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.