Good X10-compatible RF remotes?

My trusty 6-in-1 remote that came with my original ActiveHome kit (my first foray into HA) seems to have stopped functioning. I really miss the ability to control various lighting in our home via this remote. At this point, I could pick up another one. But, I'd like to install more X-10 compatable dimmers in the house and would likely have more than 16 addresses. Thus, the

6-in-1 would not be so handy. Can anyone suggest a decent solution? I just want to control X10, though if the unit supported other functions, that would be great too. Craig
Reply to
CeeDub
Loading thread data ...

The limit of 16 addresses is more a function of the RF to PLC converters (X-10 calls them transceivers) which are limited to a single housecode. Leviton makes one (HCPRF) which handles all 16 housecodes (i.e. all 256 addresses). The remotes themselves are all capable of sending to all 256 addresses but the methods for switching between the 16 housecodes is less than straightforward.

formatting link
formatting link
(see p14 for changing HC)

X-10's Palmpad (HR12A) only does X-10 and has a codewheel for the housecode.

formatting link
"CeeDub" wrote:

Reply to
Dave Houston

If your automation controller can handle macros, then you could program it to translate a single X10 command from the remote to control several different lights:

A5 OFF -> B5 OFF, B6 OFF, B7 OFF

With this approach, we have a couple of macros control most interior and exterior lights.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Dave:

Thanks for the input on this. I currently have the X10 version of that remote; they look identical, except for the logo. I don't know if it's the transmitter that is failing or the transceiver. But, I'm betting it's probably the latter. I was checking the SmartHome website. It seems they sell a transceiver that will accept all 256 addresses without having to set a house code. So, even though it's considerably more expensive that the Leviton/ActiveHome setup, it might be worth it. But, I'd still like to get a nicer remote that didn't require reprogramming to set a different housecode.

Craig

Reply to
CeeDub

Yes, I'd like to eventually get to programming "scenes" using this sort of approach. I'm using a SmartHome USB programmable controller and I believe this will accept macros, though I've not played around with it much yet. Eventually, I'll probably have to get an Ocelot to do this stuff. But, I'd still like to keep it simple (and not have to maintain a computer in the on state 24/7).

Thanks.

Craig

Reply to
CeeDub

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.