Good vendors for replacement alarm panel/keypads?

My friends ADT system died yesterday. From all I can tell, the main control box died - All keypads just flash LEDs bottom to top - no keypad response - disconnecting battery and transformer and reconnecting does nothing.

I would like to know what sites people would recommend for replacement panel and keypads. Hopefully, I can use the current wiring and sensors/pirs with new equipment. |Also, what brands do people recommend for self installation by a talented do-it-yourselfer.

Price is a consideration.

Bob

Reply to
Bob
Loading thread data ...

I sell alarm system components to DIYers so I recommend my store, but I'm a bit biased in that regard. :^)

There's no "rocket science" to installing most alarms. If the wires and sensors are already in place it'll be a piece of cake for a talented DIYer. Depending on the brand, one part that can sometimes be a pain is programming. Ademco's Vista series are fairly easy to program directly from the keypad. DSC is also easy but Ademco is better built. Napco Gemini models are more complicated to program but they are also the most configurable alarm panels on the market.

If your friend wants home automation as well as security, you should consider Napco's P9600 or even ELK Products' M1 Gold (higher cost but awesome power).

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Sounds to me like some wires have come loose. Check the connections at the keypad and at the control. On some 22/4 station "Z" wire, the wire can actually break insided the insulator. It looks like it's a solid wire but when you start bending it a little you'll notice the break. If all the terminals are tight and it looks like the wires intact, then it's time to check out the actual wiring before you start replacing components.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.