FSK/ASK on PLCC?

Hello,

I have been doing some search on powerline related materials.

A member of a different group suggested me to look into Home Automation Modems. I found there are 2 types available, one working on ASK and the other on FSK. I also found some reviews from members suggesting amplitude modulated stuff on powerline is kind of unreliable.

Is it true that the FSK based system is definitely more reliable than the ASK based one?

Also I am able to get FSK based home automation modems/boards from STMicroelectronics alone. Are there any others who supply these?

I am thinking of working on an evlauation board first and then delve into depths later. Thats why the question about the boards as well..

Thanks.

PS: I am still a newbie to PLCC.

Reply to
cdacpandq
Loading thread data ...

FSK is not necessarily more reliable but does have the potential for higher data rates. It's the implementation details that are more important than ASK or FSK. The term ASK is probably misleading as it applies to powerline communications. OOK (On-Off Keying), a subset of ASK, better describes most implementations. Both suffer from the same noise/attenuation issues. There are other methods that are more reliable than either.

ST and Philips are about the only companies still making simple powerline modem chips. 10 years ago there were numerous suppliers but most have since abandoned the field. Michat, in France, supplies a Philips TDA5051A based board.

formatting link
Yitran makes the HomePlug Command & Control chips. I think they offer boards.
formatting link
There is a good overview of powerline communications in this article...

formatting link
Hello,

Reply to
Dave Houston

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.