FS: (18) LCD1901HD 19" HD LCD MONITORS, NEW IN BOX

Not if they are connected to cable.

Analog cable channels are not changing and cable companies almost always provide a set top box with a channel 3/4 modulator and composite AV outputs.

That everyone will need a new TV is a bunch of hype.

Reply to
Lewis Gardner
Loading thread data ...

Actually Paramount, Pixar and Dreamworks just announced that all their new release movies will be on HD-DVD. They're not going to be supporting Blue Ray (although Steven Spielberg says any of his movies will be offered in both formats).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Hear, hear! The days of the narrow field LCD panels are over. All the new ones boast fairly good viewing angles (although 180 degrees is a bit of a stretch)... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Frank, we're still waiting on that Acer Model # you said was a great deal.

Reply to
BruceR

Don't hold your breath.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

All monitors are sold.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"Robert L Bass" a écrit dans le message de news: H0hBi.127$ih.10@trnddc01...

don't you mean shipped back to the distributor?

Reply to
Petem

No. They were already *at* the distributor. Bass ordered them and the customer changed their mind. I'm certain that (given the short time frame and Bass' penchant for self-aggrandizement), they were actually returned to the manufacturer. The only people interested in buying "ToteVision" are those individuals that are spending other people's money (i.e. Government). Interesting point... For any Provincial Government contract, one of the first things they ask for is individual Police record checks along with certified copies of our employee's provincial licenses.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Frank Olson wrote: For any Provincial

u need to get into the dropship biz. real streamlined entry process.

Reply to
Mike

We do business not only with the US federal government and all branches of the military, but also numerous state governments and even a few foreign governments. That includes several Canadian provincial government agencies and a few embassies. They never ask about anything but price, product availability and return policies. Many smaller orders (under $5000 usually but it varies from one agency to the next) are called in with government issued Visa cards. The buyers almost never place orders online. They invariably call in.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yeah... sure they do, Bass. Provincial governments don't buy anything without employing the tender process (that includes office supplies which they award three or five year contracts for). It's highly doubtful that *any* Canadian government agency would be calling some Nimrod in Sarasota (who doesn't even have an 800 number) when their tender policy states that preference will be given to Canadian registered corporations. You've obviously never dealt with *any* Canadian government agency. I'm fairly certain that the US Government would employ a similar set of practices. With your BBB record, and the bonding requirements, I doubt they would even consider using your services even if you were "low bid". As is usual, you are LYING.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Taliban doesn't count

too bad u cant process returns anymore since Graham got you shut down with ADI on diy returns. The policy is no diy returns at ADI.

yeah, theyre not supposed to deal with criminals so they have to call in because homeland security will catch internet transactions. They sure don't want the their bass cought in the bush [administration].

Reply to
Mike

Sure, they do.

Guess I'll have to let my ADI rep know about that. The local branch doesn't seem to mind.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

And, as ususal, you STILL haven't given us the ACER Model number that yousaid we can get so cheap.

Reply to
bruceR

"Readable" is a very subjective word. I've looked at a lot of different monitors and TVs since this posts try get a feel for the problem. While LCDs are indeed much more readable at an angle than they once were (my Fujitsu and Compaq PC screens, the best quality there was at the time, were unreadable when about 45% off-axis. Any one of the newer LCD's I have, both cheap and mid-range, can do far better than that. While 180 degree viewing is a physical impossibility, a rough eyeballing with a plastic protractor and a "sight tube" made out of PVC pipe (where's sextant when you

*really* need one?) you can still make out the characters at about 150 degrees. At least *I* can. That's remarkable considering the Fujitsu, as beautiful as useful as it is can't be mounted on a wall and then read easily from a nearby sitting position.

But there's a catch to the wider viewing angles of the newer, supertwisted LC displays. The differing ways the pixels are created causes LCD to have much more of a "sweet spot" than equivalently sized CRT's. As the viewing angle increases, the light falloff on an LCD is quite a bit more dramatic than a CRT. I find nowhere near the same falloff on CRT's because with my bad visions the reduction in brightness lowers contrast as well and often causes normal room light to wash out the image when viewed at an angle. I work with multiple monitors and now that I've been replacing 3 monitor "clusters" with one or more LCD monitors I find myself adjusting monitors far more often than I ever did with CRT's.

As I was trying to photograph the Windows 2000P login screen to show how the problem still exists, I noticed that the there's substantially less light reaching the lens/eye as soon as you go off-center. As I varied the angle between the screen and the camera, my camera, which displays and records F/stop and shutter speed, captured the this information in each photo and showed substantial difference between on and off axis viewing. The image is indeed readable at far greater angles than 5 year old screens using older technology. But the considerable difference in the way the pixels are illuminated does make a difference in the screen readability from off-axis.

formatting link
The CRT image is created by phosphorescence from an electron beam. The image is displayed behind a layer of hard, optical quality glass that's not likely to yellow over time. On the other hand, the LCD display is created by filtering light from our old friend, the compact fluorescent light bulb. The light is than filtered through layers of plastic and liquid crystal material. Maybe the new displays are better, but on lots of LCD panels I've seen, the CF bulbs cause very visible blotches and hotspots,. especially on a big, mostly white screen. I am sure that will improve with time, but on my test bench, the CRT will be returning. The main reason is that LCDs mean I have to stoop or pull up a chair and sit just to log in to Windows. I didn't have to do that with a CRT in the same position.

Try reading the WIN2K login dialog box on an LCD display from a very high upward angle and report back. While I agree that most new LCD panels are a lot better than they were, dialog boxes that use high-lighting and other display attributes can render the most critical piece of information on the screen unreadable. I noticed this "feature" since cracking my ribs. It's painful for me to have to sit just to log on to a desktop computer, so I am aware that with LCDs I find it necessary to sit or adjust the screen angle just to type in my password accurately.

There was an article on the viewing angle issue just this month:

formatting link
**********************************************************Screen swivels its crystals for a better view

12:53 06 August 2007 NewScientist.com news service by Tom Simonite

The Taiwanese researchers have developed a prototype display connected to a miniature camera that tracks the location of a viewer. Software then calculates how to adjust the liquid crystals within the display to produce the clearest possible image. "Viewing angle is an inherent, fundamental problem for the LCD because of its working principle," says Wayne Cheng, who developed the screen with colleague Chih-Nan Wu at the Photonics and Display Institute, National Chiao Tung University in Taiwan.

Why would anyway undertake such an effort if there wasn't nearly universal acknowledgement that LCDs have viewing angle problems?

My point in bringing that up I'm just reminding people to be cautious about buying an LCD monitor of unknown age and design that they can't really inspect before buying. Especially not from someone who really shouldn't be advertising commercially in a COMP hierarchy newsgroup anyway. A simple Google search revealed (428,000) hits about the viewing angle problem, many of them quite current:

formatting link
All About Monitors: CRT Vs. LCDA CRT monitor can be viewed from almost any angle, but with an LCD this is often a problem. When you use an LCD, your view changes as you move different ...
formatting link
-

80k - Cached - Similar pages

TalkBack: LCD vs crt review | reader response on| CNET News.comAngle of view: Although the CRT monitors lead the way in this department, the viewing angle on LCD monitors is getting wider and wider and current models ... news.com.com/5208-1041_3-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=3505&messageID=19541&star t=-1 - 46k - Cached - Similar pages

CRT vs LCD Monitor Comparison GuideUnlike those clunky CRT monitors, LCD displays usually weigh in under 10 ... and size are the LCD's big advantage; now here's the tricky parts: view angle, ...

formatting link
- 74k - Cached - Similar pages

Google Answers: CRT VS LCD Monitors/Health Risks VS Image QualityCon: -While graphics colors are very sharp, the angle of view the graphics .... Eye-One Display from Gretag Macbeth, is intended for CRT or LCD monitors. ... local.google.com/answers/threadview?id=318068 - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

Digital Darkroom Forum: CRT vs LCD for Digital Darkroom - photo.netAny thought on the pros and cons of CRT vs LCD monitors for editing color photos ... Yup, they are horribly fussy about the angle you view them at. ... photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00FZPu - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

LCD TV Buying Guide: flat screen tv ordering FAQ & TipsUnlike CRTs, LCD monitors have only one optimal resolution. ... One of the main disadvantages of LCDs when compared to CRTs is their limited viewing angle. ...

formatting link
- 24k - Cached - Similar pages

Web Design - The Complete Reference: Chapter 13: Color - Monitor ...Monitor Types: CRT vs. LCD. Most desktop computer monitors are CRT ... The most important color issue for LCD monitors has to do with the angle of view. ...

formatting link
- 11k - Cached - Similar pages

Monitor DetailsAngle of view: Currently CRT monitors are the leaders in this area. However, LCD screens are improving all the time. Viewing angle is usually not a major ...

formatting link
- 75k - Cached - Similar pages

Comparison: Sony SDM-N50, Samsung SyncMaster 570S and IBM T85A LCD ...If you're running business software, the view angle sensitivity is unimportant. .... It's still light compared with CRT monitors - and very light compared ...

formatting link
- 40k - Cached - Similar pages

Liquid crystal display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaLCD panels tend to have a limited viewing angle relative to CRT and plasma displays. This can reduce the number of people able to conveniently view the same ... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_display - 80k - Cached - Similar pages

With so many people experiencing the problem and designers working on ways to automatically adjust the displays to optimize LCD viewing angles I'll stand by my contention that LCDs aren't equivalent in viewing angle to CRTs, at least not when it comes to the light falloff that occurs when LCDs are viewed at anything other than perfectly perpendicular to the viewer's plane of vision.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I tried read your post from a compound angle about 4" in front 16" to the side and 16" above the top left edge of the screen. With my poor vision I could still read the screen clearly. Since I invariably use the PC from a much lesser angle I conclude that your premise is wrong. LCD monitors are quite readable, even at significantly greater angles than are needed for normal use.

If you mean it can't be viewed from *below* its own level, that is not surprising. Most LCD PC screens are designed to be viewed from slightly above screen center height.

The fact is that in most HA applications a viewing angle greater than

60º vertical and 90º horizontal is unnecessary.

Actually, the eye can detect finer differences in contrast at low light levels than at higher ones.

On a related note, my main TV is a 60" Sony LCD screen. The room is an open space consisting of kitchen, dinette and family room and is lined on two sides with 12' sliding glass doors and windows. The previous set was a 55" Mitsubishi RPTV which was all but useless during daylight hours. The new LCD is barely affected by ambient light, even with all the curtains open. The set is in a corner, facing roughly 40º across the room. It is crystal clear from wall to wall seated on the floor on the sofas or from a standing position.

When we viewed sets in the store prior to purchasing I compared off-angle viewing by walking along the aisle, close to the fronts of the TVs. I could easily view all of the screens from a much sharper angle than would normally be needed in any home viewing room. The Sony was the clearest IMO.

By way of contrast, I compared two of our CRT sets. Neither has as wide a viewing angle as the Sony. Neither has anywhere near the contrast. Then again, the CRT sets cost about a fifth as much as the big screen. Maybe you just need to invest in better quality monitors. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.