For BX24-AHT users

ZBasic has recently introduced some new versions of their chips (based on new versions of Atmel AVR chips which have 56K of internal flash memory for the program code) and a new compiler that compiles to native Atmel machine language. The 24-pin versions retain the 32K EEPROM, making all of it available for user data. I am investigating whether the internal flash will hold the BX24-AHT code and trying to persuade Zbasic to add a model that incorporates a 64K version of the EEPROM (which is finally available from mainline suppliers). At this time, I have no idea how much space the ~24KB of BX24-AHT code will need when translated to machine code. It will not be a direct 1:1 translation since I expect to add support for Insteon and UPB and to reorganize the rest to reduce code size while increasing the need for user data storage but expect the 56K flash will be sufficient.

ZBasic has added some functions that I requested, making it possible to interface with up to two TW523 (or equivalent) interfaces as background processes, and have improved another function that makes the capture of input pulse trains (e.g. RF, IR) of varying lengths easier. ZBasic's software UARTs are full duplex where the BasicX software UARTs are only half duplex.

The current ZX-24n chip with 32K EEPROM is more than 10x faster than the BX-24. It's hard to make a 1:1 comparison since one runs interpreted code while one runs machine code but the BX-24 ran 65,000 Basic instructions per second while the ZX-24n runs 2,900,000 instructions per second. The 32K EEPROM would mean about a 4x increase in user data storage. A 64K EEPROM would double that.

The bottom line is that, if the code will fit in the 56K flash, the ZX-24n can plug into the 24-pin socket on the BX24-AHT boards. It would be a major upgrade. There would be one modification needed to swap the functions of pins 11 & 12 but that is straightforward. Interfacing with X-10 TTL (i.e TW523, legacy controllers) would require a fairly simple external adapter that would interface to GPIO pins. I already have most of the code that might be needed and have interface programs for both Windows and Linux that can be adapted for the ZX-24n.

The downside is the price of the ZX-24n which is $60. A 64K EEPROM version would likely sell for a bit more.

I made nothing from the BX24-AHT project and will make nothing from this project so I hope you understand that, if it does get off the ground, it will not have the highest priority.

At this point, I need some feedback from BX24-AHT users to see whether there is any interest. If there's sufficient interest, it will make it easier to get a 64K EEPROM version of the ZX-24n chip. Since I was not involved in sales of the BX24-AHT boards, I do not have a list of users and this is the only way I can reach many of you. If you have a BX24-AHT and this is of interest, go to my web page and send me an email with ZX24-AHT in the Subject line using the "Contact:" link at the upper right on the main page. You can look at the roZetta project to get a rough idea of what a ZX24-AHT would be like.

davehouston.org davehouston.net

Reply to
Dave Houston
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.