Foot/knee operated switches

My wife finds it a pain to come from the attached garage to the house while carrying groceries because she has no free hands to open the door. My plan is to put in an electric strike and a foot or knee operated switch to release the strike. The door opens into the house, so you'd just have to hit the button and lean on the door. The door between the house and garage is a non-locking door so this isn't a security issue.

Has anyone come across a suitable foot or knee operated switch? It could be on the floor beside the steps or mounted on the work bench next to the steps. Thanks for any pointers in the right direction.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Meredith
Loading thread data ...

There are plenty of motion sensors on the market with the appropriate outputs you need to operate a door strike. I pulled a couple from the lobby of one of the buildings we service (we replaced them with request to exit buttons because of the neighbourhood). It's sorta "ugly", but then we're only talking the garage, eh? I'll take a few snaps and send them to a valid email. If you want one, it's yours for the postage.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I hadn't considered using a motion dector for this. That's a good idea. I really appreciate your offer. You can send the pictures to me at doug.meredith at skyridge dot com. Thanks.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Meredith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.