flimsy switchlinc switches

I have a dozen switchlinc decora style switches in my home. Out of these, 12 have broken mechanically - these switches still function electrically, but a hinge on the plastic rocker has broken. The broken rockers hang loose and wiggle from right to left (in addition to clicking up and down).

The broken switches look and feel like junk. Smarthome claims this is the first they have ever heard of such a problem, which is not credible to me (7 broken switches out of 12). I have never had any other kind of light switch break.

Anyone else have this problem?

Reply to
alfred
Loading thread data ...

"Out of these, 12 have broken mechanically" should read "Out of these,

7 have broken mechanically"
Reply to
alfred

I've got four of the old SwitchLincs, and one (the only one that gets any regular use) has the problem you describe. I'll be replacing all four with SwitchLinc 2 (Insteon) units soon- I've got about twenty Insteon devices already installed. I like the new SwitchLinc 2s better than the old ones - they're sexier-looking, they're shallower (easier to install), and they seem sturdier. And, of course, they can use the more reliable Insteon protocol, though I'm currently using them in X10-compatible mode, until I (or someone else) flanges some software together so that HomeSeer can speak Insteon.

- Dennis Brothers

Reply to
Dennis Brothers

I have over 20 Insteon Switchlinc V2 switches and they are great. I don't know how they could even break how you describe them?

Did you call smarthome for replacements? They are under warranty for 2 years and have always been good when I need to return or send something back

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
alfred

Nope. I have had various "soft" problems with earlier model switches from Smarthome(never buy version 1 of anything if you can avoid it), but otherwise, they've been pretty reliable -- on par with Leviton.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

Yes, I have had a couple break a plastic tab at the hinge. The paddle came right off. I replaced them with PCS switches, which I've never had any problems with.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

I had exactly the same problem, Smarthome replaced the switch.

Reply to
Ralph

I have about 4 or 5 switchlinc's with the same type of problem...they always say they have never heard of problems before....was thinking of giving them a call. tried to fix myself but still leave a rather loose rocker

brian

alfred wrote:

Reply to
kellyswarwick

Am I the only one who notices that SmartHome claimed this was the first they'd heard of the problem? Yet several folks here had exactly the same issue with the SmartHome product and at least one was replaced by SmartHome.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.