Effect of Phase on response to X10 Dims and Microdims.

The following describes a study which I think resolves several issues with dims and microdims, their effects on various X10 dimmer modules, and discrepancies reported by a CM11A which receives these functions over the power line.

Comments and/or verification/refutation by readers of this newsgroup will be appreciated.

Regards, Charles Sullivan ========================================================== EFFECT OF PHASE ON THE RESPONSE OF X10 DIMMER MODULES AND ON THE DIM STEPS REPORTED BY A CM11A INTERFACE.

INITIAL OBSERVATIONS

-------------------- The number of dim steps reported by a CM11A when a dim (or bright) function is received over the power line has what at first appears to be a random component. The steps for dims sent by most X10 transmitters - CM11A, TM751, RR501, Mini-or Maxi-Controller (although not CM15A) - and reported by a CM11A can be fitted to the formula:

Dim steps = (11 * N) + X where N >= 0 and X is either 2 or 3 (rarely 4) with approximately equal frequency. The CM11A is limited to reporting a maximum of 210 steps.

With a CM11A as the transmitter, N is the programmed dim_level (1-22) minus 1. With the other transmitters, N depends on how long the "dim" button is pressed but the same formula holds true.

Two CM11A units plugged into the same power strip always report the same value of X. But two CM11A units plugged into recepticles on different phases (+/-120 to neutral) of the AC power line always report opposite values for X; if one report 2, the other reports 3, and vice-versa.

These observation lead to the hypothesis that the reported value of X is determined by whether the dim power line code is received beginning with the rising or falling zero crossing.

TEST SETUP

---------- To test this hypothesis, a CM11A test setup was rigged to always transmit the dim signal beginning on the zero crossing at the same half cycle.

The secondary of a 9 Volt AC transformer (wall wart) was connected from Signal Ground to the Carrier Detect (CD) pin of the serial port to which a CM11A is connected. (The CD line is not connected in a standard CM11A serial cable.) Software (Heyu) was modified: After sending the dim function code, e.g., "0xE0 0x64", and receiving the checksum from the CM11A, the final

0x00 "send-it" byte is deferred until a few milliseconds after the CD line becomes inactive. With the 9V transformer secondary in phase with the AC power line, the dim signal transmission should then start on the rising zero crossing.

This test setup successfully removes the apparent randomness in X. A receiving CM11A on the same AC phase as the triggered sender now always reports X as "3" in the above mentioned formula. If the phase is reversed by plugging the wall wart transformer upside-down in the plug strip, X is always reported as "2".

EFFECT ON STANDARD X10 DIMMER MODULES

------------------------------------- It has previously been observed by myself and others (Dave Houston for one) that when transmitting microdims (i.e., programmed dim_level 1) to a standard X10 Lamp Module, e.g. LM465, that about 150 microdims are required to span the range from full brighness to fully dimmed. (The question arises how this number relates to the supposed 210 brightness steps in the module.)

Microdims were sent in a loop using the above test setup with a 3 second delay between transmissions. The voltage across a 100 Watt lamp connected to a lamp module was measured with a Fluke 77 multimeter, which is specified as measuring "true RMS".

With the in-phase trigger (CM11A reports 3), the number of microdims required for full dimming of a LM465 was 223 or 224. With the out-of-phase trigger (CM11A reports 2), the number was 112 or 113. Similarly to the LM465, the same results were obtained with a 1980's vintage X10 dimmer (with thumbwheel housecode/unit switches on the sides) and with a Radio Shack branded module from about 1997.

These results suggest that the CM11A correctly reports the out-of-phase microdims as two steps, but mis-reports the in-phase microdims as three steps instead of only one step. They also show that the number of brightness steps in a standard X10 lamp module is actually about 223 or

224 rather than the supposed 210. (The only official X10 document I know of which mentions the number of module brightness levels is the CM11A protocol. I suspect that number came only from the 210 step reporting limit of the CM11A.)

With 150 untriggered microdims, one would expect on average about 75 in-phase single steps and 75 out-of-phase double steps for a total of

225 steps. So these results are consistant with previous observations.

EFFECT ON X10 LM14A MODULES

--------------------------- The effect of phase on a LM14A 2-way module was measured by sending an extended status request after each dim transmission and recording the resulting extended preset level (1-62) reported by the module.

Sending _contiguous_ triggered dims via programmed dim_level 1-22 after an extended preset dim 63 command yields two very different curves of extended level versus reported steps. Both are approximately linear. The out-of-phase curve reaches extended level 1 at a programmed dim_level 15 (CM11A reports 156 steps). But the in-phase curve is still at extended level 7 at that dim_level and doesn't reach extended level

1 until dim_level 17 (CM11A reports 179 steps).

Curiously, unlike the LM465, the in-phase and out-of-phase LM14A curves for sequences of microdims are point-for-point identical, reaching extended level 1 after 154 transmissions. The number of microdim transmissions required for a change of 1 extended level alternates between 2 and 3 along the curve.

By Charles Sullivan, 12/29/2005 snipped-for-privacy@triad.rr.com ==========================================================

Reply to
Charles Sullivan
Loading thread data ...

Nice detective work. BTW, it's receptacles, not recepticles (well, you did ask for feedback!) IIRC, there were other anomalies attributed to phase differences but I'll be damned if I can find them in Google now.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Ouch! You got me on that one. But thanks.

If you manage to spot any info in the future, I'd appreciate hearing about it. My email address is good.

Regards, Charles Sullivan

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.