dvd jukebox PC

Hi,

I want to put together a PC to store and playback all of my DVDs (I currently have less than 100 of them). That's going to take around 400-800 GB of storage, which is not a problem.

My idea is to use this PC as an alterative to a DVD changer. Rather than having a changer that has to manually load and swap disks, they would all be stored on the PC's hard drive, providing much faster access and less moving parts.

My question is -- what type of software platform would be appropriate? I'm not looking for PVR-like functionality (no need to record or manage TV shows); I just want something that I can place my DVD collection on. I see that mythtv and freevo (both linux-based solutions) have modules for playing collections of videos. There's also Windows XP Media Center. I would prefer something that's at least half-ass reliable, and this would lead me away from XP which (in my experience) crashes at the slighest provocation.

The hardware that I have to use for this is a 2.4 Ghz PC with a Radeon

9000 card with TV output, and motherboard sound (including coax-digital sound output). I can throw together a RAID for storing the video.

Does anyone have any recommendations and/or has anyone in this group setup something like this before?

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------- Posted using Android Newsgroup Downloader: ....

formatting link

-----------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
nospam
Loading thread data ...

Try a Neuston MC-500 as a replay device

formatting link
it comes with server software that runs under XP (very reliably) or there is a Linux version as well if you prefer a Linux based server. To transfer your DVD's to the server Hard disk use DVD Decrypter which is shareware. This platform is very stable and reliable. But remember, even though you own your DVD's the mechanical copying is strictly illegal and you could be subbject to prosecution by one of the copright enforcement agencies.

Reply to
hi-ho

have a look here

formatting link
Can do a lot more than what you are asking about, but is an excellent program. I have been playing with it for about 6 months now and the response from the author is great (no not me either)

Mick

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Reply to
Mick

Mick is right on - I just posted a thread about my CQC setup for this. Check out my personal website,

formatting link
, for details & a shopping list.

Reply to
IVB

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.