duplicate commands with multiple transceivers

I've read the bit about multiple transceivers here:

formatting link
I'm using two RR501s, one X10 branded, one IBM branded, on the same house code, and I see duplicate dim commands on unit 5. I haven't tested other codes, but this seems to contradict the information on that page.

Reply to
bcboy
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Dave Houston

I just verified that the 501s were on opposite phases. I was getting ready to put them on the same phase to see if it made any difference when I found that this morning I'm not seeing duplicates. Heh. I love x10. I never know what it's going to do.

In theory should putting them on the same phase solve the issue? I was thinking of getting a V572A and putting two antennas on it. It's more than I want to spend, but I can't afford much more debug time on the

501s.

I thought that perhaps some 220V device was on last night, causing the signal across the phases to be stronger. But I can't actually identify any such device.

Reply to
bcboy

Oops. I didn't realize this was a sore topic. I just googled for V572. Yikes. Forget I mentioned it.

Reply to
bcboy

The problem is coverage. I have stucco exterior walls with wire mesh, and my floorplan is nonconvex. So line-of-sight to a single receiver goes through two exterior walls from some locations. It doesn't pass RF. I can cover the whole house with two antennas.

Between the coverage problems, the lockups, and the inability to do a toggle, I'm about ready to ditch the RR501s and CM11A, and look for something better. I'm not sure what that would be, though. Seems like every X10 device has some significant caveat or flaw. I gather the BX24-AHT is no longer an option.

Reply to
bcboy

It's still illegal. ;)

Reply to
Dave Houston

Duplicate commands are inherent, independent of phase. They occur because the RR501 has collision avoidance. It senses the other signal, stops, then sends its signal once the line is clear. So any signal heard by both will be duplicated. It's only a problem with DIM/BRIGHT or if you use the commands to trigger macros.

Only the collisions on units 1 & 9 are phase-dependent.

I'm not clear what problem you are try>I just verified that the 501s were on opposite phases. I was getting

Reply to
Dave Houston

Two antennas may not help much. You'll have a different kind of phase problem unless the antenna lead-ins are designed to be in phase at the input.

I live in a building that has plaster walls and ceilings and lots of wire lath. In my case, a centrally located antenna with a wide-band preamp does the job. However, there's no simple way to do this with an RR501 because of X-10's design and it's really not worthwhile given that the RR501 and TM751 only handle a single housecode.

The firmware for the BX24-AHT is still available as are all of the plans, schematics, etc. That's all that I ever supplied. A grandson sold bare boards for it. It would allow you to do a toggle. I've got about 50 of the original BX24-AHT boards but I really don't want the hassle of trying to sell them. My health is just too much of a problem.

I'm still working on a brain transplant for the CM15A but progress is slow for the same health related reasons. But that's also why I don't want to do any more with the BX24-AHT - the CM15A is a much better platform and the total cost should be a bit less.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.