Distribution of video signal to multiple TV using a matrix

Good Day New problem for me. I know very little about video signal so ''Any help is welcomed''.

I would like to distribute video through my house, but nothing fancy. I already have a video matrix (8 inputs & 8 outpouts) that can display any inputs to any outputs. The matrix accepts only composite video and audio (left and right). The actual matrix:

formatting link

I have 3 inputs:

1- Regular cable (Coax with f-type connector); 2- Digital cable (Composite video and audio); 3- DVD (Composite video and audio).

I have no problem with #2 and 3. I can process them through the matrix and it works ok.

How do I feed the matrix with standard cable (input #1)? What I would like to have is that the input go into the matrix then to multiples TV and have each TV on a different channel. That would mean that the original signal, the one that carries 'all channels' on the coax from the cable provider is: 1) changed into Composite video and audio; 2) processed by the matrix; 3) spitted out of the matrix to multiples outputs; 4) carried to the multiples tv; 5) each tv can select the channel.

Is that possible? Any idea how I can acheive that?

A side question to my problem: is 50ft too long to carry composite video?

Thank you for reading and helping.

Chris

Reply to
C
Loading thread data ...

It depends on the switcher. If it is a simple switch contact matrix, it is possible that it will work. The matrix would simply be acting as a passive RF splitter. But it's possible that the matrix is doing any number of things to the signal, so it could trash the modulated video. Try it and find out! Just use an F to RCA adaptor.

No. I regularily run composite video 500'. If it starts to get fuzzy, throw in an amp.

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

Thank you for your reply. I am glad to know that composite video can be carried over a cable that long. One thing settled.

As for using an F to RCA adaptor, I tried and it is not working. That was my first idea. What I will end up doing, now that I kow that component video over a 50ft cable iw ok is the following:

Drawing of my setup:

formatting link
I would much appreciate you comments and suggestions. Most of the hardware I use in that setup is because I already have it. I am trying to avoid buying other stuff.

Again, thanks for your help.

Chris

Reply to
C

I have something similar, with different tuners available to different TVs. My question for you, though: Wouldn't it be just as easy to run coax/CATV to each room along with the composite? That way each TV could use its own built in tuner per your original request. I don't know how you're controlling the matrix from each room, but it's going to add complexity and expense that running coax wouldn't.

There are good reasons to distribute video -- for example, we share a Tivo through the whole house. It's cool to be able to pull up programs from anywhere. I don't think three tuners sitting in a closet somewhere seems as useful.

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

You can't.

The matrix switch handles COMPOSITE video and stereo audio. What you seem to be referring to as "standard cable" is an radio frequency (RF) signal where the video and audio are combined and modulated. The two are not compatible.

A RCA to F adapter is designed to allow you to run composite video or audio over a coax cable terminated with F connectors. This adapter will not convert RF signals to composite video/audio or vice versa.

Ditch the matrix switch and modulate everything. The video will not look as good but you will have more options.

From you drawing it looks like the only thing you really need to add are modulators for the digital cable box and DVD. My inclination would be to use a 1x6 splitter for the incoming cable then a 2x1 combiner (splitter turned backwards) to combine one of the 1x6 outputs and the output of a 2 channel modulator. Feed that signal into a 1x2 splitter to feed TV2 & TV3.

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.