Designing home automation and control system for a new loft

I just recently purchased a loft and have the opportunity to design a home automation and control system while it's still in development. Construction starts next month and is scheduled for completion in September 2007. I am planning to run structured wiring throughout but don't know exactly what makes sense.

The floor plan can be seen at

formatting link
Since the windows face west there will be a lot of light and I want to instill blinds that can be raised and lowered with a remote control and wall mounted panel. After some more research and thought I am also considering:

-Home theater in the den

-TV and speakers in the bedroom

-Speakers in the den

-Speakers in he ensuit bath

-Thermostat control and programmability

-Lighting control for den, kitchen, living/dining and bedroom

-Blind control in the living room

My media collection is stored on my iMac with iTunes and haventt found anything to help control this yet (though I've seen systems to control a docked iPod). I use a wireless AirPort Express to stream audio from iTunes to my receiver.

I expect a few wall mounted panels and the ability to use a handheld remote control in any room.

The ability to display RSS, weather and other data on the wall mounted panel would be interesting (but not mandatory).

Any suggestions on wiring this new place and what could be automated? So long as I start with a flexible wiring plan I hope to slowly expand the system over time. I've been looking on eBay to see the cost of used Crestron systems.

Thanks in advance, Brian

Reply to
brian_erdelyi
Loading thread data ...

ELK Products is working on an interface between their popular M1G home automation system and Russound's multi-zone audio/video systems. We don't have a shipping date as yet but I spoke with the engineer who is working on it today and he says it should be out in six months or less. Note: I promised not to hold him to that. :^)

The initial ELK / Russound interface will be via TCP/IP using the ELK-TS07 touch screen. We talked about adding on-board command of Russound to the ELK master control panel and he agreed that would not be much trouble once they complete the integration with Russound's protocol.

ELK is one of the better companies to deal with in this area, especially in terms of DIY support.

This approach isn't precisely what you describe since it would require transporting your sound and video files to a Russound server. However, it will give you integrated control of HA and whole house entertainment and the cost is considerably less than some of the other integrated systems.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

There's no TCP/IP (ethernet) interface on a Russound unit. It'd have to be some added unit, one that worked RS-232 or R-Net directly.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

You're right. It's a serial connection .

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.