Crestron FTP

Hi,

I recently acquired the Crestron CP2-E from a local dealer. I would like to access Crestron FTP site (ftp.crestron.com) in order to donwload software and updates (my dealer cannot help me). Access to the server is restricted to Crestron dealer, consultant, etc.. only. Can you help me?

Thank you.

Davide

Reply to
Davide
Loading thread data ...

Hello,

Crestron recently restricted access to their software to limit the number of unauthorized dealers and programmers out there.

While it would be a violation of the license agreement for you to install Crestron's software unless you were an authorized party (i.e. Crestron Dealer, CAIP, A+ Partner, and some consultants) from what I understand the general consensus has been that if the [authorized] dealer who provides the equipment choses to do so without bundling programming services they are the only party who _may_ choose to provide software, etc. (still, this would be in violation of the license agreement)

How exactly is your dealer unable to help you? If it is because they aren't an authorized dealer, you should call Crestron at 1-888-CRESTRON (or see

formatting link
they may not be willing to help directly as far as software is concerned but they could certainly point you at an authorized dealer who _may_ be willing to provide assistance of some kind & they may do something about the unauthorized dealer.

dealers/programmers have compromised the perceived quality of Crestron in some significant ways and bumped up support costs significantly. Restricting access to the software is one of their only ways to fight back.

Sorry I can't be more helpful...

Lincoln

Reply to
chsvideo

Can you please explain why it is that the dealer cannot help? If he's a Crestron dealer he should be able to access the site and provide whatever you need.

I'm not doubting you; just trying to understand what his problem is.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Yeah, that's it, blame the market. Instead of providing documentation and offering easy to use tools they'd rather hang onto the profit margins of authorized dealers and the rates they gouge.

Meanwhile, newer systems are gaining on them with lower price points, and greater accessibility. Crestron's stranglehold on the market is dying and they're just trying to grab as much profit as they can before their inevitable demise.

Reply to
wkearney99

I thank you for all your answers. I agree that this policy is not fair. I am acquiring an expensive piece of tecnnology and I should be put in the condition to take avantage of all its features.

Reply to
Davide

Heh. I tried using that line with my cable provider when I got my high definition digital box.

Reply to
Frank Olson

It's a tough call. On one hand you're buying something expensive and it's not unreasonable to have decent documentation *avaiable* for it, even at a price. On the other they're interested in making sure installations of their products aren't train-wrecks that give them a bad name. A DIY'er fiddling around with what can be a very complex system not only generates PR problems they also require greater budget for support costs. "Trained" professionals are often at least able to avoid making stupid calls that chew up support costs. Think about it your any profession, how is your time/money better spent, dealing with learned clients or teaching newbies the ropes?

That said, Crestron's practice of actively *preventing* the owner from obtaining, let alone using, the documentation or software necessary to do the job is ridiculous. Beyond the bad public relations risk of a DIY'er screwing it up is a LEARNED homeowner being actively prevented from freeing themselves from the shackles of what might be a rather incompetent installer. Now instead of being able to help themselves the owner is faced with being held hostage by exorbitant support costs and a general feeling of being treated like they're too dumb to know better. THIS will cost them far more customers in the long run but vendor vision is often way too short-sighted.

The trick is in getting past the early-adopter and high-end curve and enjoying the benefits of economies of scale. Crestron's been ridng their wave fat and happy but at what point will it run out? Given the emergence of WiFi, tablet PCs and handhelds, DSL in the home and the like I'd say it's not too far off. Undoubtedly some of the staff at Crestron know this, it's managment that's ignoring the obvious. They do so at their peril. People at new vendors like Control 4 will eat their lunch.

Reply to
wkearney99

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.