Coupler gone bad????

Has anyone heard of a passive 2-phase coupler going bad? It's been installed for about 7 years and worked fine until recently. Now, my x10 controller can't seem to control devices on the other circuit of my house.

TIA, Z

Reply to
Slip Perry
Loading thread data ...

Anything can break. I did have an ACT Coupler/Repeater fail and sent it in for repair once. The ACT unit gets very hot and the early models had no heat sink so the diodes eventually became crispy critters.

Reply to
BruceR

I've not looked inside one, but I imagine it's basically a capacitor to couple the signal across to the other phase. Any such capacitor can certainly fail eventually.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Couplers go bad. It amazes me when people get upset when their fire alarm system bites the dust. Just because it's a "major fixture" on the wall they think it will last as long as the building it's protecting. I'm not comparing something as simple as a "coupler" with a complete fire alarm system, but usually it's the 10 cent capacitor (or some other cheap component) that fails and takes down the whole enchilada. I mean... look at what happened to the Queen of Oak Bay!

formatting link
:-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.