Controlling media player from bluetooth headset?

Hi,

I got a Logitech bluetooth headset for Christmas. I am not using it with my mobile phone which is not bt enabled, but just as a wireless headset for my PC.

According to the manual, it is possible to control some basic phone functions with the two buttons on the headset. One can answer a call, redial a number etc.

Then I got the tought that I must be possible to get/make a program for the PC that will respond to the key presses on the headset. I would like to be able to pause and wind/rewind the media player from the headset.

Does any of you know of such a program or some hints how to make it? I am a professional programmer, just a total newbie in bluetooth technology.

If another group is more appropriate than this, please let me know :)

Thanks, Martin

Reply to
Martin Larsen
Loading thread data ...

Your PC's headphone/speaker jack is just that... a headphone/speaker jack. The sound card would have support the button functions on your headset and there currently isn't anything on the market that does that. Sorry.

Reply to
Frank Olson

That's crap. Read the original message before spouting the wrong answer. He's talking about a bluetooth headset. That provides an actual audio output device. It has nothing to do with the regular soundcard analog outputs. Yeesh, get a clue.

Technically it is possible but there'd have to be a program running on the PC that understood how to handle the incoming Bt headset signals and sent them to a media player. It actually wouldn't be all that complicated code-wise but it's unlikely to be something the typical headset program would understand how to do.

I'd start by reading up in MSDN regarding how telephony and headset devices are supported. Then you'd have to interface with either the player program or the OS media handlers. It would probably be better to interface with the player directly as you're likely to have different streams going to the PC speaker and the headset.

And don't bother reading Frank's posts, he's generally full of crap.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Actually companies like Widcomm and Toshiba who provide drivers for PC bluetooth adapters have an API, so you should contact them. Your application is dependant on the type of PC BT adapter and not so much on the headset itself. A tech at Skypeheadset made reference to the APIs when discussing an issue with me.

-mhd

Reply to
-mhd

I have already made a program that controls the media player and real player using global hotkeys. It is quite easy and does nothing but send keypress commands to the players.

The tricky part is handling the bluetooth signal as you correctly state. I installed a serial port sniffer, hoping that I would be able to pick something up, but the bluetooth serial port seems to be dead. I had an idea that signals from the headset would pass thru the bt serial port but I guess I was wrong.

I will look in the MSDN as you suggest :)

Martin

Reply to
Martin Larsen

Great idea. Thanks.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Larsen

Well, Ex-x-cuse me!

That's getting a trifle testy, there, Bill... Considering it was an honest mistake I didn't expect to be "raked over the coals" for. I'll keep your comments in mind though (about *reading* the question before "jumping in" with a quick response). Have a good New Year.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.