Communication from cam/microphone to server per room?

I have been reading about X10 and other systems for home automation and was going to try to begin by adding some basic voice activation to my house. I was thinking that I could have a server where audio and video from my rooms gets input and processed, but I'm not sure how the hardware of this can/should be setup and was hoping for general advice on the subject.

I was thinking that I could have a webcam stuck in the corner of each room with audio support and have that sent to my computer, but I don't know how I would send the information. It would be nice not to have to wire cables through the house, and I don't know if there are reasonably priced cameras that could communicate over wifi or bluetooth. The only way I can think of would be having a cheap laptop in each room that handles the individual cameras, but this doesn't seem ideal because of size, power, and cost.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
bnovc
Loading thread data ...

I forgot to mention that I was inspired by this article

formatting link
but it is 4 years old, so I was wondering if there were any recommendations on different software now.

Reply to
bnovc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.