CM15a reliablity

CM14a had a lot of problems ( overheating, lockups, and demonic possession ). Is the CM15a any more reliable, or do the same problems exist ?

Reply to
Joe Bfstplk
Loading thread data ...

Sorry...I meant to say the CM11a had reliability problems

Reply to
Joe Bfstplk
90 percent of the problems with the CM11A are the fault of the software.

With the CM15A, 90 percent of the problems are the fault of the software. The other 90 percent are due to the hardware. :-)

Reply to
Hooper

The overheating seemed to be related to a specific transformer that was used in some early versions so it only happened with some CM11As. I would be surprised if the same problem appeared in the CM15A given that it was apparently solved in the CM11A.

I think the lockups were mostly related to firmware (i.e. the PIC program). The CM15A uses a Cypress µController so it's unlikely to have the same firmware issues. It may, however, have its own.

Most of the cases of demonic possession were easily exorcised by keeping the serial cable connected or disconnected at _both_ ends. If the CM15A has the same problem it can likely be cured in the same manner.

The CM11A also had a problem with its signal strength fading during its 1ms duration - made worse by loading. This could be fixed by changing a resistor. The CM15A does not exhibit this problem.

formatting link
Aside from the dinky antenna the hardware used in the CM15A is OK. It uses third party RF transmitter and receiver daughterboards.

I was not impressed with the X-10 software. I don't know whether any third party software has appeared. It's not as easy to do this for USB as it was for RS232.

X-10 ma>Sorry...I meant to say the CM11a had reliability problems

Reply to
Dave Houston

Thanks , Dave

The possesion problem I speak of is no due to the serial floating. With the serial line plugged in, it had problems.

It has been a long time since I had time to fool with it, or hang around here. As I remember, after being plugged in a number of hours, it would start send out commands on its own. I dont remember exactly what commands - I seem to remember it was counting; or it may have been random.

Someone suggested it was due to overheating....I seem to remember it was you who said this. Certainly seems to be the case. After unplugging the unit, I would have to give it a cool down waiting period before plugging it back in.

formatting link

Reply to
Joe Bfstplk

I don't recall saying that overheating caused the random signals. I'd be more inclined to think that moderate overheating was a result of a lengthy period of continuous transmissions.

My experience is that I can >Thanks , Dave

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.