Cheap Ethernet indoor temperature sensor

Hi,

Does anyone know of a cheap (less than $50) temperature sensor (indoor ambient) with an Ethernet port? Something with a built-in web browser and/or TCP/IP socket interface that would allow me to see the temperature in a room via a network.

Thanks! John

Reply to
johnfofawn
Loading thread data ...

cheap? Today, can't be done for less than $75 cost; now double this at retail. No consumer market for such.

I use Maxim/Dalls one-wire sensors; $3 each; connected by phone wire, daisy-chained. Connects to $30 interface on PC serial or USB port.

Reply to
stevech

If you want to ethernet-enable those devices (and know Java) you can use the Dallas TINI board which has a 1-wire bus and ethernet ability.

formatting link
But as Steve mentioned setting up a 1-wire network and connecting to an existing PC is really the easy approach. Here is a open source project which uses this same system for HVAC zoning control.

formatting link

-jr

stevech wrote:

Reply to
James Russo

Thanks! Java is good. I wrote an interface to my Napco alarm system in Java.

I'll check it out.

John

Reply to
johnfofawn

I agree that it can't be done for less than $50 today although I don't agree with your cost figure. Mouser has the Lantronix xPort for $49 and it's about $35 in OEM quantities from Lantronix. Add a PIC and thermistor and the cost is just over $50 even for one off.

This will shortly change. Microchip has announced a single chip Ethernet interface (ENC28J60) and Digikey lists it for under $10 in single quantities. Once it's available it will be economical to Ethernet enable almost any µController based project (assuming the µController has enough horsepower). If you use the QFN28 package it won't even require much board space.

Search

formatting link
for the ENC28J60 datasheet and
formatting link
for the retail price.

"stevech" wrote:

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.