Caddx NX-8E - RS232 ASCII Codes

I just recentely purchased a NX-8E and would like it to communicate via the RS232 port to a home automation system. For example, when someone opens a sensored door, have the NX-8E send a ASCII command to my lighting system to automatically turn on the light. Any idea what commands it sends and receives?

Les

Reply to
Sparkes
Loading thread data ...

I think you must be dreamin'. ;-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

Hi Check out the link....Homevision can talk to the Caddx panels

formatting link
HTH Frank

Reply to
Frank Mc Alinden

That's great, Frank, but the OP asked specifically for the communication protocols the panel uses. At least that's how I've interpreted his question about "any idea what commands it sends and receives?". I don't think CADDX is going to share that information with an individual.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Ooops Sorry

TBH ...I didnt read the doc....But at least he knows of one HA Controller that will talk to his caddx system....;-)

Sorry Frank

Reply to
Frank Mc Alinden

CADDX is one of the more "progressive" manufacturers when it comes to releasing this kind of information to OEM's. There are a number of others and a few that get pretty "testy" when it comes to divulging communication protocols. I doubt *any* would provide it to an individual though. Thanks for the link anyway, Frank!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Why wouldn't they give out the commands? If I want to write my own program to talk to it...what's the big deal. So now, instead of having my security system talk directly to my lighting system, I have to purchase something like Homevision. I thought this was suppose to be a good DIY security system.

Les

Reply to
Sparkes

I guess it depends on the manufacturer. Some wish to keep their technology proprietary. Others (like ELK) want to take as big a slice of the home automation "pie" that they can. Judging by the quality of their products, and their innovative approaches, they're going to be on the cutting edge for some time. KUDO's to the guys at ELK!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Like most alarm manufacturers, Caddx (GE Security) caters to alarm dealers -- not the public. Many dealers will drop a line if they think the manufacturer is willing to give support to DIYers.

I used to have the protocol on my old PC. Unfortunately, it was one of the files I failed to back up when I bought new machines this year. Next time I talk to GE I'll ask them to send it to me.

It's not a bad system but you have to get your support from your equipment supplier -- not the manufacturer.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Would it be better that I return the Caddx NX-8E system and get an ELK instead. I have a Lutron Homeworks lighting system and would like to have it talk to my security system. It sounds like I probably won't be able to communicate directly between my Lutron and Caddx system and will need an automation system. If that is the case, will my Caddx keypads NX-148E work on the ELK system. I would only use the ELK for automation and security.

Les

Reply to
Sparkes

From a business perspecive there's some logic to the notion. Selling to a few well-trained resellers can avoid a lot of increased support and liability costs for the vendor. It's a matter of where the money is best spent. It's the smart vendor that recognizes how to work the fine line between the two markets. There's little sense in antagonizing what can be a very effective sales channel (the end-user) by refusing to engage them directly. A motivated DIY or actively interesting homeowner can often help sell product. Often to customers not otherwise motivated to use a local reseller. Likewise, that same user could suck up an inordinate amount of support costs for little or no profit. Tough call to make, either you piss them off and don't grow and sales from it or your support costs go up.

At the same time a reseller that doesn't aggresively serve the local markets doesn't help either. Or, worse yet, they do such a bad job the market avoids the product. We've all met these resellers. But then again, we've all met (or have been) high-cost users too.

With the ease of webpages it's sort of foolish to keep the motivated end-users out of the loop. No vendor-direct support but webpages for registered customers is one way to keep the costs lower. Smart vendors seem to be grasping this idea.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

Sounds like you are buying hardware and then trying to find software that will bring it together. Try the reverse -- software first. For what it's worth, Premise Systems (now Motorola) supports Caddx NX-8 and NX 8E and Lutron

formatting link

HTH ... Marc Marc_F_Hult

Reply to
Marc F Hult

There's a third "market" and those are installations that are glued together by software from independent vendors such as Premise Systems (which _does_ support CADDX as well as HAI and Apex security) and CyberHouse (supports Apex, Ademco, Napco, Radionics, Silent Knight, Elk).

In this market, support can be shunted/shared with the software manufacturer, software vendor, software installer, and end user as well as the hardware installer. Who gets the most inadequately compensated work/calls (read 'can't survive') with this model?

Marc Marc_F_Hult

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Unless the Luton system can be reprogrammed to accept what Caddx sends, it won't be directly controllable by Caddx. Because you can customize the ELK system's I/O it should work fine with your Homeworks system.

If you got the system from my store and if it's still in new condition, I'll take it back and credit the cost toward a replacement system for you. Presumably, so will any other reputable vendor but check first.

No. The M1Gold talks to ELK's keypads. Although it will work with Caddx/ITI wireless devices, it can't use Caddx keypads.

ELK has a new release of the ELK-M1XSP which has the Lutron Radio RA protocol built in. I spoke to one of their engineers this morning and he's going to see if it's the same protocol as Homeworks. If so, we should have the new version available shortly. If not, they will implement the Homeworks protocol for us but it takes two or three weeks to complete.

I've requested the EEPROM map of the ELK-M1XSP so that we can write protocols in for clients who request them. That may take some time but it should be doable. I won't hack their (or anyone else's) firmware but if they will divulge the EEPROM map it's not necessary to even know the firmware.

We also discussed the possibility of them making a user configurable protocol. That would allow experienced users and/or dealers to create our own device control interfaces -- a major leap forward IMO. Your thoughts?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Absolutely right. They can answer a question from me and I'll explain it to a thousand DIYers. Or they can answer the same question to a thousand DIYers themselves. However, since DIY represents a tiny fraction of the alarm market, they really don't care if they annoy DIYers. They really *do* care if they annoy dealers. My business model (online DIY sales), vexing though it may be to traditional alarm installing dealers, creates a challenge for manufacturers and distributors alike. On the one hand they don't want to irritate regular dealers by seeming to cater to companies like mine. However, I buy much more equipment than most independants and at least as much as any individual office of even the large nationals in my region so they don't want to lose my business either.

Companies like Honeywell (Ademco) have such wide market participation that they will sell to any dealer in the trade, regardless of the dealer's clientele. However, they won't even talk to end users. The same is largely true of nearly all security system manufacturers. Companies like ELK Products are much smarter about it. They neither encourage nor discourage DIY. They will answer questions from anyone though they prefer that we (dealers) call them with customer questions whenever possible. If an end user calls wanting to buy a system to DIY they get his information and have one of their online dealers from his area assist him. That, IMO, is the best approach. They realize that DIY is a growing segment of the industry and they try to put DIY customers in touch with those of us who are willing to work with them.

I agree, but it depends on one's perspective. From the point of view of most alarm manufacturers, DIY is insignificant compared to the possible loss of major dealers. They figure if you don't buy from them you'll go to RatShak or whatever. They really have no idea of the skill and determination level among many DIYers.

Yup. They come over from ASA every now and then. :^)

True. I get a calls every so often from folks who want an hour's tech support prior to purchasing $10 worth of merchandise. I answer patiently, figuring they may come back and buuy a lot more stuff later or they may refer a friend. It all comes back eventually.

That is true, yet we still see most alarm manufacturers hiding even installation manuals behind a firewall. That, IMO, is based on poor thinking.

ELK does exactly that. Every user of the M1 Gold system can receive a username and password to access all support materials -- even firmware upgrades -- directly from ELK's website.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The full Premise Systems software product (not the limited "homeowner" version) costs $750 at Worthington. The user will still need a hardware security solution. IMO ELK is a better option. Then again, I sell ELK and I don't sell Premise Systems *yet* so I'm probably a little biased in ELK's favor... :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I really didn't want to use a PC to control anything, but I looked at Premise and it looks like just what I was looking for. The "Personal Edition" should be good enough for what I need. Thanks.

Les

Reply to
Sparkes

What a load of poppy-c*ck. Alarm manufacturers want to maintain the integrity of their products and therefor won't release the codes to the general public. There have been many examples where manufacturers actually get together to provide additional features and benefits to the end user by improving an existing product.

CADDX, DSC, Ademco, FBI, and a host of others manufacture their products for installation by trained technicians. A trained technician is *not* someone you "teach in two hours over the phone".

Reply to
Frank Olson

That's the usuall bullshit line most installers give. Sure, everyone wants what they sell to avoid being a hassle for the customer. Both to keep support costs low and avoid loss of future sales due to difficulties and the network effect. But calling it "integrity" is almost entirely bogus.

Reply to
wkearney99

People get nervous when c.h.a discussions veer into security territory. How 'bout we back away from it....

I think in that case the on-going monitoring service has to be considered. There's little point (for most situations) in having that sort of system without remote monitoring. (and can we not sink into endless thrashing of reasons otherwise?)

Yep, I think what most people want is the choice. When deprived of the option or faced with deliberate attempts to stymie their efforts customers will turn on a vendor. Much worse than losing a sale is poisoning the well against future sales to all those the customer might influence. At the same time, it's probably fair to say that most customers are willing to work with, and pay, a competent professional to help make it all work.

From my perspective what I'm willing to do, and the effort it takes, is something I readily share with less-experienced friends and discourage them from doing it otherwise. I like the bleeding edge and those I influence (in various small ways) may be intrigued but more importantly they're

*informed*.
Reply to
wkearney99

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.