Building a simple Automated Light system

Hi all,

I am interested in building a simple demo for an automated home control sys tem. Essentially, I do not have access to the property as of yet, and canno t put in live systems just yet.

However, I am looking to start purchasing some of the components and plan t he wiring and layout for the project as of now. As well as to test how inte roperable they are.

Ideally, in the long term, I am looking for the following:

- Open source and hackable/modifiable code/hardware. This is a must for as much of the project as possible. I would like hardware and software, that h as some sort of open source support, as opposed to some propriety code whic h may or may not be supported in 10~20 years when I want to change parts of the system.

- Green and energy efficient. Ideally looking at LED lights and low power c onsumption units. I do not like the idea of having things plugged in consta nty and powering them up with a timer, as they seem to draw power even when idle. It would be great to be able to monitor energy use for both heating and electricity.

- Central point of control (ideally with a web front end). I understand tha t a home automation system will require some sort of server to monitor and control it for the most part. I am happy to purchase a low energy machine w ith ample power for the system. Again, this will ideally be a pretty standa rd software/hardware solution, that can be upgraded and mantained over the years by myself. I would have thought some sort of linux box with software that can be controlled with a web based interface (I only ask for this, as I can build a mobile app to work alongside this tool, with an interface of my liking)

- Main light systems (not lamps plugged into the wall power outlet) to be c ontrolled by this system. I just want a interface on my server that lets me choose a room and which lights to enable.

- Heating: ideally like 'google nest'. Centrally controlled, and again, I j ust pick a room, and enable/disable or set a temperature. Or set a profile. I.e 'summer setting' or 'winter setting' and have preset values for each o f the room.

- Not too bothered about music and video streaming, but I will route TV cab les and CAT5 cables through to the most important living spaces (living roo m, some bedrooms and kitchen), hidden behind walls/floorboards. This will a llow me to setup a music streaming server or remote file access for my musi c collection and enable my smart TV to pick it up or someone with a laptop to pick it up off the wireless network.

The truth is, I have no idea where to begin, I keep hearing about complex w iring systems and plug and play systems that control the likes of lamps and toasters (x10 and so on). But what I would like is to start simple and bui ld the system up as I go along. I am doing major renovation work to the hou se and that would be a good time to replace some plaster board and lay some new cables.

Starting with the very basics, what would I need to control the living room light (just on/off, no dimming for now) via my PC?

I assume I would need the light switch modifed to be attached to a device t hat can pick up signals from the home router. When my computer sends an on signal, the switch activates and vice versa.

I can then attach a second device to my kitchen lights, and so on?

Sorry for the long post, but I hope the long term goals help realise that a ) I have grand plans and no idea how to execute them, and b) They are long term goals but they will shape the short term things I do now (such as the component purchases and length of wiring and so on).

Reply to
Ozzy
Loading thread data ...

ystem. Essentially, I do not have access to the property as of yet, and can not put in live systems just yet.

the wiring and layout for the project as of now. As well as to test how in teroperable they are.

s much of the project as possible. I would like hardware and software, that has some sort of open source support, as opposed to some propriety code wh ich may or may not be supported in 10~20 years when I want to change parts of the system.

consumption units. I do not like the idea of having things plugged in cons tanty and powering them up with a timer, as they seem to draw power even wh en idle. It would be great to be able to monitor energy use for both heatin g and electricity.

hat a home automation system will require some sort of server to monitor an d control it for the most part. I am happy to purchase a low energy machine with ample power for the system. Again, this will ideally be a pretty stan dard software/hardware solution, that can be upgraded and mantained over th e years by myself. I would have thought some sort of linux box with softwar e that can be controlled with a web based interface (I only ask for this, a s I can build a mobile app to work alongside this tool, with an interface o f my liking)

controlled by this system. I just want a interface on my server that lets me choose a room and which lights to enable.

just pick a room, and enable/disable or set a temperature. Or set a profil e. I.e 'summer setting' or 'winter setting' and have preset values for each of the room.

ables and CAT5 cables through to the most important living spaces (living r oom, some bedrooms and kitchen), hidden behind walls/floorboards. This will allow me to setup a music streaming server or remote file access for my mu sic collection and enable my smart TV to pick it up or someone with a lapto p to pick it up off the wireless network.

wiring systems and plug and play systems that control the likes of lamps a nd toasters (x10 and so on). But what I would like is to start simple and b uild the system up as I go along. I am doing major renovation work to the h ouse and that would be a good time to replace some plaster board and lay so me new cables.

om light (just on/off, no dimming for now) via my PC?

that can pick up signals from the home router. When my computer sends an o n signal, the switch activates and vice versa.

a) I have grand plans and no idea how to execute them, and b) They are lon g term goals but they will shape the short term things I do now (such as th e component purchases and length of wiring and so on).

Apologies, I forgot to add to my long list of long term goals. But other th ings I would consider a priority are:

- the phone system (ideally some form of control over the voice message set tings, check incoming messages, and route calls room to room - I believe th is will be some form of VOIP PBX software system, plugged into the network and will require additional cabling routed around the house (i.e. kitchen, bedroom, living room)

- broadband monitoring, proxy/cache, hardware firewall, bandwidth usage etc , to be monitored from the LAN

- CCTV system, to monitor the front door, driveway and other entrance point s to the property. Probably also control when lights are turned on near the entrances (i.e. detect body heat).

- And finally door control, for the garage door, but also remotely open the sliding garden door.

Thats all I can think up of for now. Again these are long term goals, for n ow any pointers for the simple light control would be appreciated.

Reply to
husmanahmed

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.