best *current* home automation book? need to cram subject urgently

Hi-

posted another question here earlier re hardware automation controllers of choice.

Now have a more immediate request: can anyone recommend any particular book (or web-site) which is useful for wiring/preparing a house for a future-proof automation system to get put in place easily?

Really just looking for the best/most complete resources for planning to wire a house intelligently (and structured).

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

There's a "how to" tutorial here:

formatting link
by Bob Catanzarite. While it's not the neatest job I've seen (that would probably be Bruce Robin's, but I've lost the URL - he will probably see this and post it) it's pretty nice.

If you compare the photos in the site above to Bruce's, you'll see his layout isn't quite as "three-dimensional" and that he makes excellent use of items like long Wiremold-type outlet strips to keep the ever-increasing number of "wallwart" power supplies looking neat and remote from each other. I think it's a bad idea to crowd a fleet of power supplies on a small powerstrip. Their could be induction effects and there could also be premature component failure because of the increased heat.

Many pros don't like bundled cable, a hallmark of many structured wiring schemes. While it looks nice to have fiber, RG6QS and CAT5 in the same cable, the reality it that it's much hard to pull, usually more expensive than the unbundled separate cables and it can't be stapled using traditional tools. Also, if you ever have to replace a cable that's broken inside the wall for whatever reason, you'll be mighty glad if three other cables don't have to be replaced with it.

I'd search Google for "structured wiring tutorial" to get started. Bob's site lists the following to get you started:

Home Networking Links

Practically Networked -

formatting link
of Home Networking Help -
formatting link
Site with a lot of Wireless and wired information -
formatting link
- Networking Page -
formatting link
Home with Cabling -
formatting link
PC Network -
formatting link
Stuff Works - Home Networking -
formatting link
Stuff Works - Routers - -
formatting link
Stuff Works - Firewalls -
formatting link
Stuff Works - Power Line Networks -
formatting link
Stuff Works - Phone Line Networking -
formatting link
Stuff Works - Wireless Networking -
formatting link
of great info here -
formatting link
Help Desk and a FREE newsletter - Check it out! -
formatting link
NEW

Ethernet Wiring Links

How Stuff Works - Ethernet -

formatting link
DeRose's Guide to CAT wiring -
formatting link
Spurgeon's Ethernet Web Site - VERY GOOD -
formatting link
Wiring Closet -
formatting link
's Wiring Closet - VERY GOOD -
formatting link
Tech's Learn More Section - VERY GOOD -
formatting link
Voltage Home Pre-Wire Guide - VERY GOOD -
formatting link
Stuff Works - Ethernet -
formatting link
Siemon Company -
formatting link
- Voice and Data Division -
formatting link
- Strategies Document - VERY GOOD -
formatting link
Ethernet Training by Hadriel Kaplan -
formatting link
Pair - How It Works -
formatting link
- Great Information and Great Links -
formatting link

Other Wiring Type Links

Phone Man's Home Page -

formatting link
Line Networking -
formatting link
Voltage Home Pre-Wire Guide -
formatting link
Tech's Learn More Section -
formatting link
Vision -
formatting link
Master -
formatting link
Plus -
formatting link
RG6/U Quad Shield -
formatting link
Wiring Tip -
formatting link
NEW Lots of interesting links -
formatting link
NEW Great source of knowledge -
formatting link
This supplier offers a LOT of free knowledge -
formatting link

Wireless Networking

All sorts of GREAT stuff - Just go there and see -

formatting link
Site with a lot of Wireless and wired information -
formatting link
NEW As you might guess- All about 802.11 -
formatting link
a very good site about networking of all sorts -
formatting link
stuff on wireless security -
formatting link
stuff on wireless security -
formatting link

Phone Line and Power Line Networking Links

Fred Langa's comments on Power Line Networking -

formatting link
Structured Wiring Suppliers

Home Tech -

formatting link

Central Wiring Panel Links

Channel Vision -

formatting link
Home Director -
formatting link
Tech Solutions -
formatting link
Structured Media -
formatting link
Tools

Greenlee Tools -

formatting link
Tech -
formatting link
Tool -
formatting link

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

One of the best online guides I've seen is the "Low Voltage Home Pre-Wire Guide" at

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Thanks for the compliment. Here's a link to my photos. I have just added some updated photos to show how it's evolving after 3 years. Feel free to ask questions and enjoy the other pictures there. (Do check out the rainbow shot - it was even shown on local weather here.)

formatting link

Reply to
BruceR

Hi-

note from the original poster here.

Those links should keep me busy for ages :)

Thanks to both Roberts for the links.

Reply to
Jim

hi martin-

just started looking at ZigBee - hadn't heard of it before, and could be quite useful for me.

Since you've just had the chance to learn a bit more about it, could you try to provide me with info where you know it, please?

I understand from what I've read that it's meant to be a wireless standard 'perfect for home automation', particularly for sensor technology ie relatively low bandwidth (wikipedia says that it ranges from 20kbps to 250kbps (at 2.4 Ghz band) depending on the frequency used. I've forgotten my physics here... why not just run it at 2.4Ghz and get over 1200% bandwidth increase from 20kbps? Does the range fall off at higher frequencies?)

However, even at 20kbps, that's plenty bandwidth for a lot more than sensors (video and music excluded- hell, isn't the voice data we hear on the phone 9.6kbps?).

The 'mesh' cluster concept is pretty cool. kind of like a mini Internet in your home :).

What about ZigBee security, though? sensors can be used in security situations. Would ZigBee not be recommended in these cases? Furthermore, if ZigBee devices are that easy to battery change, would it not be very easy to tamper with them?

Do you have a site for your company? or a site for any ZigBee suppliers? are the products actually out yet?

Reply to
Jim

Not quite wiring but have you had a look at ZigBee wireless. Our company has just completed a seminar series with this technology and if you want telemetric rates Hi-

Reply to
martin

There's also error checking and other overhead so it's not just plain division math.

Yes, that's the point, enough to be able to "make sure" the signals are getting delivered.

Some encoders can be that low. Others run higher to get better quality. Depends on the telco switch involved and the amount of traffic.

The internet is not a mesh. It has mesh-like properties but IP routing isn't quite the same.

Reply to
wkearney99

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.