Best brand coax and F connector for HD cable?

"Aw man, I wish you were the Cable Guy in my neighborhood! Thanks for the signal ranges. Very helpful. "

Hey rogue how did you make out with the trouble call?

Reply to
egrumling1
Loading thread data ...

Sorry to report, but I have not yet made the call ;( Been busy with real life interference taking precedence.

Reply to
rogue_petunia

What can be more important that TV????????????????????????

CIAO!

Ed N.

rogue_petunia wrote:

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

Try replacing the splitters with double ended "barrel" female F connectors. Each split costs at least 3dB of signal strength loss. That might be enough to take care of the problem, without having to fish new coax. Of course you'll need to figure out which of the coax wires on the splitters is the one you need to connect to. Get it wrong and you'll get no signal where you wanted it, but the signal should show up in the room where the wrong coax goes.

Reply to
robert casey

Belden RG-6 is what you want. Quad shield is needed if hooked up to your cable system.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

*Any* RG6 Quad Shielded cable will do fine. Belden, like Monster, has marketed their name very well.
Reply to
Robert L Bass

Except that Belden actually has a long history of actually making quality products that met real specifications in a field that included a lot of folks who made junk.

That's not to say Belden is the only company to consider as was stated earlier, but they are a safe bet if you don't recognize the other products.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I work at a very reputable commercial TV station. Beldon is all we use. Norm

Reply to
Norm

Every time I go into radio shack, there's some poor grandma standing at the AV cable rack, scratching her head that she has to spend another $60 to hook up her grandson's new whatever.

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

This is true indeed. However, you can buy products of equal quality at significant savings from other reputable manufacturers.

Also true.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The worst thing is the salesmen pushing cable named after all manner of semi-precious stones. I overheard one idiot salesman in a store telling a young couple how important "high end" hookup cable is. When he told them that each splitter loses of three "dolbies" I almost burst out laughing.

A security client of mine in CT once bought a pair of used Thiele speakers for his stereo system. I have no idea where he got them but the sound was terrible. The speakers had clearly been abused and needed new drivers. I told him they sounded as though the drivers had been damaged by over-excursion. He went to "The Stereo Shop" in Hartford for assistance. The sales drone sold him a pair of new speaker cables the size of oil truck hoses for about $1000. He connected them up and asked what I thought. I told him he needed to return the hoses and get the speakers repaired. Last I saw it his system still had those ridiculous cables and beat up speakers.

Sometimes I think cable the manufacturers have all hired P. T. Barnum's descendants.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Heck yeh, I bought a big spool of Carol Cable (General Cable) RG6/U for my use at home. Paid like 35 bucks for 500 feet at Home Depot. I have no problems with it. Norm

Reply to
Norm

I sell Genesis Cable (Honeywell) online. Performance is the same as every other decent brand.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

their name very well.

With today's cables using a 100% foil shield, plus a braid there is little to gained by more layers of braid. Just stick with a name brand. I've forgotten the brand, but I purchase it by the 1000 foot roll. It's flooded for direct burial. I use both Greenlee and the Snap n Seal connectors. They cost a bit more, but are both mechanically sound and water proof. The old hex crimp are easy to pull apart. One of these can hold my weight on the cable and in work clothes I go over 180#. Although waterproof connectors are not needed indoors they are so easy to use and work so well I use them for all of my F connectors.

As to how well the foil and braid works; I run the cable through conduit with the cables for my ham station. They will be running as much as 1500 watts 1.8 through 50 MHz, a couple hundred watts on 144 MHz and up to 50 watts on the 440 MHz band. I have two cables that run to remote preamps on UHF antennas at roughly 90 feet and two that run to the satellite dish at roughly 15 feet. There is no interaction of leakage between systems.

In addition I run a CAT5e cable with a gigabit network between 5 and

10 feet from and parallel to those cables Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member) (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
formatting link
Reply to
Roger

"Robert L Bass" a écrit dans le message de news: rfqdnUZguLuEWwvYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

How could you know,you don't install any of this stuff...

a part reseller cant know the performance of any of his product unless he install it himself,and we know that you don't,you made it clear to the Florida inspector,and in many post in ASA

Reply to
Petem

Wrong. Belden tests their cables. Monster is hype.

Wrong. Here in Houston if you dont use Quad shield you WILL see the leakage

Well, my hex crimps will hang a TV, so they are fine. I seen enough bad Snap and Seal connectors that I automatically cut them off and reterminate.

That's just bad practice. Is that measured, or just observed?

That's not good practice, either.

Reply to
lnh

Is there something special about Houston?

I doubt it.

Quad shield is a waste of time and money over good quality foil and braid cables like Belden duofoil.

My experience over thousands of F connectors is the exact opposite.

Please post a link to a bad SNS connector. I have yet to see one when installed to specification.

It isn't bad practice for his application. You obviously have not been around many ham shacks.

Since he is running both TX and RX through the conduit and has some nice receivers he would be aware of signal leakage.

The point is that in a much more extreme RF environment foil and braid cables work fine.

Who to believe?

A licensed Radio Amateur with actual RF experience or some no-name that can "see" signal leakage and prefers a termination technology that is no longer used in the industry.

I think I'll stick with Mr. Halstead.

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

Every good manufacturer tests their cables. Now kindly explain how the fact that they test precludes the fact that they've marketed their name very well.

True.

That depends on the application -- not the city it's in.

OK, now you're BSing.

You believe that 5-10 foot separation is bad practice???

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Totally depends on the location. Quad is recommended in locations where broadcast facilities are nearby. That does not mean that if there is a broadcast facility nearby and you don't use quad you will, with uncertainty, experience problems. Roger can vouch for that.

You also need to consider the frequencies involved. Being an ARRL member, as well as licensed, Roger has a real facility setup, which includes very good filtering. Little, if any, harmonics going out. He is restricted as to the frequencies he can transmit on, and because of his filtering, you aren't going to see him anywhere other than his actual broadcast frequency. CB radio, on the other hand, can be a different creature. Cheaply built radios usually don't have adequate filtering, but because of the low power at which they transmit, little to no problem is seen. If the operator throws a linear amp into his system to boost his transmit power, you will see problems. Because of the inadequate filtering in his radio, when he hops on the radio, he not only broadcasts at 27MHz (CB radio band) but he also goes out on various multiples of his frequency (harmonics). The first harmonic of the CB band is 54MHz, right in broadcast TV channel 2. Roger could transmit on that very same frequency and nobody would ever know it.

Also, because of his grounding system (much better than a 4' copper rod stuck in the ground), anything that hops onto any of his shields goes right to earth before it can go anywhere else.

Pull-out force is not the only thing about fittings that is of any importance. Return loss and impedance matching are of more importance. The higher the return loss the better the operation of the system. Hex-crimp connectors typically have a return loss of ~18dB. Compression connectors have a return loss of >30dB. Hex-crimp connectors pinch the cable at 6 points around the cable, which means 6 points of impedance mismatch. Impedance mismatch results in reflections, which spells potential trouble. Compression connectors maintain a constant impedance. More than once I have had to replace hex-crimp fittings on satellite drops because some of the channels were missing. Not the whole transponder, but just a few of the channels on various transponders.

CIAO!

Ed N.

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

Numerous wire manufacturers have been making cable for decades.

Nah. It's just marketing.

Marketing advantage, yes.

Actually, Monster has a miniscule portion of the wire and cable market. They do have a large portion of a niche -- premade audio and video connectors.

However, Monster is not the recommended alternative. There are lots of others, most of whom make excellent cable and few of whom charge Belden's prices.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.