Automating radiator control - Electronic TRVs

Hi everyone, I'm new to this group but i've been lurking around looking at home automati= on for a while. I want to build a system to automate the heating control in= my flat (uk btw) but I can't find a good solution especially if I want to = keep the cost down. Currently I have 4 rooms with 4 water filled radiators connected to a gas b= oiler. Each one has a normal wax/liquid filled TRV and it works pretty well= . I want to change this so I can control the state of each TRV remotely, i.= e. with a computer control so I can heat the bedroom up later on in the eve= ning and the morning, but have the living room warm only when I get home fr= om work and then cool down when i'm asleep. Are there any products on the m= arket that can be retrofitted to my existing radiators? I've seen the z wav= e products from danfoss which look reasonably priced, but the control units= look expensive and i'm not convinced radio comms is going to be reliable. = Also, has anyone got any experience of doing this to a house? Regards Pete

Reply to
Peter Theobald
Loading thread data ...

Op zondag 17 april 2011 12:01:36 UTC+2 schreef Peter Theobald:

tion for a while. I want to build a system to automate the heating control in my flat (uk btw) but I can't find a good solution especially if I want t o keep the cost down.

boiler. Each one has a normal wax/liquid filled TRV and it works pretty we ll. I want to change this so I can control the state of each TRV remotely, i.e. with a computer control so I can heat the bedroom up later on in the e vening and the morning, but have the living room warm only when I get home from work and then cool down when i'm asleep. Are there any products on the market that can be retrofitted to my existing radiators? I've seen the z w ave products from danfoss which look reasonably priced, but the control uni ts look expensive and i'm not convinced radio comms is going to be reliable . Also, has anyone got any experience of doing this to a house?

Hi Pete,

I need the same configuration. I haven't bought yet but I'm thinking of openHAB on a raspberry with FS20 R F thermostates (Conrad). Maybe I start with an FS20 controller but I like the flexibility of openHAB .

In the end I want to control my complete energy useage with my smartphone. With openHAB I can do that.

Reply to
derkvdwal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.