Automated front door lock?

Right. And he wanted to have the comings and goings recorded.

There is an RFID system available for HomeSeer that does exactly this. Rather pricey, and wouldn't work unless PC and program running.

formatting link
I considered it while they had a 2-fer during the beta testing. At current retail it is too expensive because owing to how my house is constructed, I'd need numerous detectors to be useful.

A reactively "obscure" system like this *may* be OK for a while longer, but RFID can be surreptitiously read far beyond the rate distances under the right circumstances.

formatting link
Marc Marc_F_Hult

Reply to
Marc F Hult
Loading thread data ...

They can easily be opened with a Bic type pen. Stick the plastic shaft in where the key goes and simply turn. It will open. Kryptonite got some pretty bad publicity, so they have to exchange all the locks. You can read about it here:

formatting link
Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Dunno about dogs, but there used to be cats like this.

Haven't you ever heard of a sabre-tailed tiger ?

Marc Marc_F_Hult

Reply to
MFHult

Cripes! That's good to know. I've forwarded it to some cyclists friends. I have the old, flat key Kryptonite lock. I'll bet you can open that one with the shirt clip part of the cap to a Bic pen.

What a day this has been. Tonight I learned that a heinous form of macroalgae in the Mediterranean, the California coast, and Australia. Caulerpa taxifolia, was accidentally introduced into the Mediterranean at the Oceanographic Museum of Monaco while Jacques Cousteau was director. Now it's killed half of the fish in that Mediterranean because it's poisonous to eat.

The superlock is crap, the father of ocean conservancy may have killed off the world's oceans with toxic seaweed:

formatting link
and a mosquito just bit me right in the armpit.

:-( times 10! Is nothing sacred?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Here's a cool looking RFID lock for $299. It runs on batteries, and has contacts on the outside for a 9 volt battery should the internal batteries die unexpectedly...

Reply to
Chuck

Hi Andrew,

Unless your insurance policy specifically mandates otherwise (and most do not) you are not even required to lock your door to be able to collect. The fact is a significant percentage of home burglaries do not involve breaking -- just illegal entry. The thief tries a bunch of doors until he finds one that isn't locked, walks in and grabs whatever he can. Insurers regularly pay out on claims which arise from this type of crime.

That's true. Most of the electronic door locks that are worth anything at all cost several hundred dollars. Napco Security's Alarm Lock division makes some pretty decent ones. I sell one or two every so often but their price keeps them out of the mainstream. Securtron makes a SABL (stands for "Stand Alone Battery Lock") series that's likewise robust and just as spendy.

That sounds reasonable on the surface but it's really not correct. Insurance is for when things go wrong, including failed hardware or software. If the insurers could get out of paying every time an alarm company failed to notify the police or fire department in time to catch the thief or save the house they'd almost never have to pay a claim.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Good point, Marc. The answer is that if a door strike fails locked it will not prevent egress. The strike only retains the latch while it is engaged. With or without power the door can be opened from the inside (assuming there's a conventional lock and knob or handle in place).

Powered *locks* are another matter. Conventional electromagnetic locks simply unlock whenever they lose power. Sites which rely on these for primary security should include a battery backed power supply of sufficient size to keep the door secure until the power restores or someone is able to implement another locking means.

Some of the automated locks which I carry are able to function manually without power. The lock can be opened from the inside by pressing the handle or turning the knob. Some also provide a backup keyway on the exterior to allow access without power or as an alternate means for those who are issued a key. Following are a couple of links (my web site) to information on the subject.

formatting link
Regards, Robert L Bass

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I don't know about the "no other option". The HAI Omni/lt (keypad outside) will do the logging, limit access control to times and dates, and operate a device such as a RFID and electric strike plate. It's also a full featured home security system.

I myself wouldn't worry about RFID being insecure, so is the glass in your windows, and they're much likelier to be broken than someone reading your RFID from afar.

Chip'

Reply to
Chip Orange

Does that mean that the door will unlock for a stranger 1% of the time?

Reply to
jscott9

Hi Keith,

Have a look on my website

formatting link
we have a biometric system that will do what you want.

It is a wireless Biometric reader which can be powered either by battery or direct power. Error rate is under 1%. it uses keylog hopping 'des' encryption for its comms and works in the following manor.

un known finger pritn = ring doorbell

known finger print = unlock door.

you can also get bio fobs which work on the same technique. price for 1 reader, unit, strick and doorbell=$680Aus

Reply to
mhatzis

No, it means that there is a 1% chance of reading a finger print and not

recognising it. not that there is a 1 % error that a non registered

finger print will open the door.

Mike

Reply to
mhatzis

Bob,

I use Kwikset locks on all my doors. They came with the house.

So I bought a Kwikset keyless entry deadbolt.

I was able to get it rekeyed to match everything else...

The remote is not IR, but RF - which is better.

Also it uses the rolling-codes so nobody can sniff your remote...

It is compatible with my Genie garage door opener, which also uses RF and rotating codes...

I then modified the keyfob to be driven by relays. 3 of them... 1 for lock, 1 for unlock, and 1 for garage-toggle.

Now my mighty M1 HA/Alarm can control it...

I can lock or unlock (or open/close the garage) from any keypad. The doors lock automatically when the alarm's exit timer has expired.

As such I can unlock through the Elk M1's web interface as well.

Cool beans!!

You can probably find them elsewhere, but eBay is easy...

formatting link
Good luck, and enjoy!

Jack :)

Reply to
Jack Edin

"E. Lee Dickinson" wrote

I've been Googling on automated door locks and couldn't help resurrecting this thread to point out that I've never seen firemen take too long to get into a burning home, whether the door was unlocked or not. That's what those huge axes are for! :-)

Seriously, though, it's probably best if electric door locks behave as similarly to their manual counterparts as possible.

What I want in a system is:

1) Proximity cards that can be cancelled at will

2) A latch secure enough to withstand a kick or prybar attack. I recently bought an electric door strike, but those work with the doorknob-type locks and they are nowhere near as secure as a double-deadbolt style lock where the lock body attached to the back of the door with four big screws and the receiver is mortised into the door frame. If you make sure the door frame is reinforced (I routed out enough of it to install some slotted angle iron under the door moulding. Installed thusly, double deadbolts are highly resistant to prybar and kick attacks.

3) An internal lever to operate the deadbolt in case of power failure

4) An external keyhole to operate the lock in case of power failure or lost key fob.

5) Very low standby power consumption

In the category of "nice to have" would be:

a) Access tracking

b) Remote programmability

c) Interfaceable with security system

d) "Latch closed" confirmation

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

"Dave Houston" wrote in

Who makes it and is it still available?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Thanks! I had never really considered IR as a possibility. Were you able to hack into it so that you could operate it remotely from the inside of the house?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Very sweet!

I'll bet a good case could be made for either technology. I think I prefer RF, but I'm not sure I know all the parameters to compare.

That's clearly an advantage over some other technologies. I'm trying to rig up something for my Dad whose arthritis is so bad that he sometimes can't manage to fumble for the keys or use them. I was looking at the Smarthome proximity tags.

formatting link
That would eliminate keyfob fumbling but would not be nearly as secure, at least from what I can tell.

That's a big plus, too.

What's the range on the RF? If I could mount a fob by Dad's bedside he could unlock the door remotely when the cleaning lady or a repairman comes.

Or anything else that can open and close the relays, correct?

Way cool!

Very cool indeed. Can you read the status of the lock remotely?

formatting link

Thanks for the all the info, Jack!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I've never range tested it, sorry.

RF has the advantage of not needing line-of-sight. So dad COULD do it from bed.

Another option is a keypad from Kwikset.

Some lock kits come with one. I would like to obtain one myself...

Then you could give a code to the cleaning lady, who could then let herself in...

Mount it on the wall outside the door, etc.

Yes.

Nope. The only indicator is on the deadbolt. A red light (inside) indicates it is locked.

Glad to help!

Jack :)

Reply to
Jack Edin

Talk about synchronicity, I had just found the NOKEY site and had homed in on this lock:

formatting link
but say it's no longer being manufactured. Makes me wonder if the Smarthome site is incorrect in describing the product or whether they have a supply salted away.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

formatting link
I think you might find it for a bit less elsewhere. I got mine from Future Standard before Brian went out of business. I used a stronger strike plate than the one that comes with the lock.

Reply to
Dave Houston

I never made a serious effort to do that since the manufacturer was not cooperative.

This looks like it's made by the same company.

formatting link
It costs a lot more but RF is more convenient and the rolling codes should make it secure (as long as the algorithm is non-trivial).

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.