Arlo wireless Internet camera

Does anybody here use these handy cams?

Reply to
cameo
Loading thread data ...

Yes. I have 4 of them with one base station that I have had up since early December. They are nice little camera's that catch a decent video, have a g ood battery life and were easy to install. The camera's basically catch mo tion, you can set how sensitive they are) for between 1 - 60 seconds. So fa r the camera's are still with their original batteries which as at around 7

5% or so. The biggest downside is that once the camera's sense motion, they start to record, meaning that there is usually about a second or two lag b efore the recording starts. For camera's that are more macro focused, you c an miss some of the action for the first second, but for cameras that are m ore long shot they usually get it all. The other thing (not really an issue , but something to be aware of) is the farther away the camera, the more it can lag. One of our cameras is around 200 feet away from the station, with many obstacles in the way, and you can see some lag with it, vs the camera s that have a more direct line of connection have a quicker response. Hope that helps, if you want to know more, let me know.
Reply to
Johnny Apollo

Yes. I have 4 of them with one base station that I have had up since early December. They are nice little camera's that catch a decent video, have a g ood battery life and were easy to install. The camera's basically catch mo tion, you can set how sensitive they are) for between 1 - 60 seconds. So fa r the camera's are still with their original batteries which as at around 7

5% or so. The biggest downside is that once the camera's sense motion, they start to record, meaning that there is usually about a second or two lag b efore the recording starts. For camera's that are more macro focused, you c an miss some of the action for the first second, but for cameras that are m ore long shot they usually get it all. The other thing (not really an issue , but something to be aware of) is the farther away the camera, the more it can lag. One of our cameras is around 200 feet away from the station, with many obstacles in the way, and you can see some lag with it, vs the camera s that have a more direct line of connection have a quicker response. Hope that helps, if you want to know more, let me know.
Reply to
henryevery1659

hat I have had up since early December. They are nice little camera's that catch a decent video, have a good battery life and were easy to install. The camera's basically catch motion, you can set how sensitive they are) for between 1 - 60 seconds. So far the camera's are still with their original batteries which as at ar ound 75% or so. The biggest downside is that once the camera's sense motion, they start to record, meaning t hat there is usually about a second or two lag before the recording starts. For camera's that are more macro focused, you can miss some of the action for the firs t second, but for cameras that are more long shot they usually get it all. The other thing (not really an is sue, but something to be aware of) is the farther away the camera, the more it can lag. One of our cameras i s around 200 feet away from the station, with many obs tacles in the way, and you can see some lag with it, v s the cameras that have a more direct line of connecti on have a quicker response. Hope that helps, if you wa nt to know more, let me know.

Thanks for the info. I just got a pair of them from Costco but only depl oyed one so far. First I had a hard time to sync it wi th the base station because as I found out later, th e Quick Guide is somewhat misleading about that proc edure. I had to Google up the right way to do it. Af ter that everything was easy. Right now I only have it set up for live viewing as I didn't have time to fi gure out how to set up the motion detector so I don' t get too many false positives while still catching the significant events. I also haven't seen a way to s pecify parts of of what the camera sees as the trigg ering field. My older D-Link DCS-2230 wired cam can do that and can send video clips to an ftp server an d even record it on its own SD card. Plus it can mail snapshots or video clips as well. It also has a bett er low light vision even without the infraread light s.

The Arlo delayed video is also bothering me but I assume it may have something to do with its transm ission of HD video and any lost data packet needs to be retransmitted to the base station. That also expla ins why the cam distance matters. I wonder what kind of band the base station uses to talk to the cams. Its Wi-Fi seems to go farther than my own WiFi route r.

Reply to
cameo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.