appliance module on an A/V receiver?

I have a relatively modern A/V receiver with your typical "standby" mode, so it's always powered, listening for IR signals. Hitting the power button the receiver itself powers it up/sends it back to standby mode.

However, if you power it up, then unplug it, when you plug it back in, it comes back on (instead of defaulting to standby mode).

This got me thinking that I could plug the whole receiver into an appliance module, turn it on once, and then let the appliance module control it from there... I realize this means that while the appliance module is "off", i won't be able to turn the receiver on from the remote.

My question is, is this bad for the receiver? Is it designed to be powered on a specific way, and am I likely to damage it by surging it everytime, by cutting/restoring the power "at the line" as it were? Has anyone else done this w/ a device like this on a long term basis?

Part of me says it shouldn't matter, but another part feels like essentially simulating a blackout/power-restore on a daily basis can't really be good for sensitive electronics.....

Reply to
random735
Loading thread data ...

It's probably ok, however, I can think to 2 other possible problems. First is the "local on" sense current from the appliance module. It might cause some weird effect. Then again, it might be enough from some switching power supplies to keep it idling. Also, you could use a modified module or one of the newer ones where this feature can be turned off. The 2nd problems that might happen is unpowering the receiver for long periods (weeks) might cause a loss of memory, like for presets, etc. Both depending on the receiver design.

Reply to
Art Todesco

If the receiver is not a large consumer of power, it is probably OK.

I have several X10 appliance modules in my house in line with similar loads and I have not had a problem in the last 6 years. I also use them to power up a Dell computer. If anything, it saves money, because the power consumption of the device becomes zero when OFF, instead of having it's phantom circuits remain active 24 hours a day.

In the bad old days, power supply capacitors would dry out and have short lives, but modern electronics have improved component reliability. Just applying power to a device does not necessarily result in a power surge, and it is less likely still that that device would be damaged by this.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

well it's got a 500 watt amp, how are you defining large?

(of course that amp is not drawing 500 watts the moment it is powered on, presumably)

Reply to
random735

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.