Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

Today's NYT has an article about a new LED lighting design from Britain that addresses some outstanding problems with LEDs.

formatting link
Their bulb is 70% more efficient than traditional bulbs (which is about the same as CFLs). Unlike most articles like this they give an overall picture saying that if every household in Britain were to switch, it would reduce the total annual British carbon footprint (of 500 million tons) by 1.2 million tons - a reduction of 1/4 of a percent.

Reply to
Dave Houston
Loading thread data ...

Think of all the starving plant. The plants need carbon dioxide, to live. By reducing the carbon dioxide output, plants will wither and die.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Isn't part of the reason for the increase in carbon dioxide levels that we've cut down so many trees? IOW, there's more than enough carbon dioxide around to support the remaining plants.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Oh, bother. Another liberal educated drone bee. "we've cut down so many trees". I would imagine that you also think that mankind caused the hole in the ozone over the south pole.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"we've cut down so many trees". I would imagine that you also think

yep we probably have....

cleaner air is better for EVERYONE!

Reply to
hallerb

Of course we caused it. Remember the time Fred Flintstone bombed the dinosaurs (and missed) with that nuclear weapon?

Reply to
Gordon Burditt

And increased the number of corrective lenses by 150%

I had a few of these LED PAR30 bulbs in my hand a week ago. The prices were outrageous and the lumen output was so pathetic I would have to install triple the fixtures to be able to watch TV with them on. IIRC the largest was 11 Watts and put out about 530 lumens??? Compare this to a 23 Watt CFL (Not PAR30) putting out 1200 lumens.

Reply to
Josepi

11 watts gives 530 lumens versus 23 watts gives 1200? Do the math, dopey. Sounds like DOUBLE the fixtures would give you 22 watts and 1060 lumens with the particular LED's you are whining about.
Reply to
salty

Reply to
Josepi

Just how do your extraordinary skills with higher mathematics show that double the fixtures provide enough light if he thinks he needs a minimum of 1200 lumens?

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

I'm not interested in the job. Mostly because if you offer me $150, your deficient math skills will result in a check for $100. You will of course, insist that it is really $150.

Reply to
salty

Try again when you are able to state your challenge accurately and fairly. You haven't even come close with this feeble attempt.

Reply to
salty

Isn't it time for the troll to change his nick again?

You been using this one for a long...long time now. Almost.... 21 posts? Some kind of record for you, no?

BTW: Your interlaced posting mixed in with other styles makes you almost unintelligeible. That and your amazing math skills makes you almost a bozo bin candidate.

Stick to the oar myth, it seems more plausible, in this group, anyway.

Reply to
Josepi

It was actually a trick sentence without the word "minimum" found anywhere.

When you are a cheap troll, you need to bend the context and meaning of sentences a lot to make your argument seem valid. Sometimes people reach down into the facts, for a troll, and come up empty handed and have to, just plain, make up shit.

Reply to
Josepi

Wow, you really are math challenged. I've been using this nick for several years and thousands of posts.

So, now you are stalking me?

Reply to
salty

Reply to
Josepi

I see that Home Depot in Canada is now handling some LED bulbs with a title of nightlights or something similar. They appear in the shape of the usual medium base incandescent shape and have a white translucent dome over the top if them. The ratings are so poor they could only be used a nightlights.

$30 ea.

7 Watts 155 lumens.

While there may be useful places for these nightlights, they don't look that useful for me. Their efficiencies are barely as good as many incandescent technologies at 155/7 = 22.14 lumens/Watt.

I am still looking for a decent PAR30LN LED bulb that can be used over my sink with an X-10 switch module (yeah ..it dims) 1000-1500 lumens would be a good brightness.

Reply to
Josepi

You don't know what you are asking for. Try one of these and you'll find it is quite bright enough for that purpose:

formatting link
...or, continue to stumble around in the dark, whining.

Reply to
salty

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not good in snowy areas. If snow somehow ends up covering the lights (heavy sticky snow being blown sideway by heavy wind, for example), LEDs don't emit enough heat to melt it down.

Reply to
TD

Snow is an issue over the sink?

Reply to
salty

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.