Any home sec IP cams for Android phones?

Has any of you found yet a good IP camera for home security which can be viewed and controlled remotely with an Android smartphone? Unfortunately my old Linksys WVC54G cam can only be used with MS IE.

Reply to
Rover
Loading thread data ...

My Panasonics (BL-C131A and BL-C140A) work fine using Safari on an iPhone EXCEPT for audio.

Reply to
greenpjs

Yes, I, too, have seen several IP cameras adverised as viewable with iPhone, but hardly any with Android phone.

Reply to
Rover

X10 has recently introduced an Android tablet and wireless IP cameras. The web page says the Airsight camera is viewable over iPhone, Android phone and tablets but I have no hands-on experience.

formatting link

Reply to
dlh

For that price I don't think you could get an IP cam with as good video as they are showing on their promotional web site. Besides, X10 has gained a reputation for cheap quality, especially in video products. Recording over a WiFi link is also a questionable practice as it requires a dedicated PC to be online. It would be still fine if the cam also had a built-in recording capability on a micro SD card, with time stamps, etc.

I wonder why they don't show more detailed specs for the cam that could really tell the story, such as you see for the sumilar looking camera here:

formatting link

Reply to
Rover

I recently bought a Tenvis IP camera (with pan/tilt) for around $50. It works well and there are several android apps available to view and control it.

Reply to
Markus

Which model and where did you buy it? I've seen a few of them on Amazon but hardly any user feedbacks.

Reply to
Rover

I bought it via Ebay from Germany. I think it is a JPT3815, it is nowhere written on the device !

I got set up via this thread:

formatting link

I quite like the tenvis.com website. You can feel that English is not the native language, but the make a serious effort to offer useful information. For example you can download the manuals in advance.

Markus

Reply to
Markus

Ach, so you are a Deutscher, ja? Thanks for the additional info. I've looked at the tenvis web site earlier, but was turned off by it being a Chinese company. So I am surprised you have such a good opinion about them. Maybe I'll take another look.

I am also impressed how much info they have on that web site but, at least initially, I would probably buy one of their indoors MINI models, such as the MINI318 because of where I want to deploy the camera. If that works out well for me, I might add a more sophisticated outdoors cam, too.

Reply to
Rover

Nein, I'm Swiss. Germany is not that far away, though.

t initially, I would probably buy one of their indoors MINI models,

I have ordered several times stuff from Dealextreme, for simple things they are fine, but for many items the information they provide is not enough. I really found the Tenvis site confidence-inspiring as there is real information available. Better than man reputable american companies. A refreshing development for chinese companies...

Markus

Reply to
Markus

Ach, Entschuldigung. ;-)

I agree with the info on their web site but I am a bit concerned getting software from mainland China where so much of the recent hacking of top secure US web sites occured. Such IP web camera firmware would be an excellent method of planting trojan horses all over the Internet that could pass data back to China.

Reply to
Rover

Have you checked the Android _apps_ for a product that serves as intermediary?

In the iPhone/iPad realm, I use an app from eK(eypad Mobile Solutions

formatting link
) which integrates Elk M1 automation panel and security, INSTEON lighting, IP thermostats, infrared -- and umpteen different IP video cameras and DVR's.

Hope This Helps ... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.