Add a lot of X10 or Insteon to a big installation?

I have about 50-60 X10 modules (a lot are smarthome, some are Leviton) in my house and have added an addition. I'll need to add another 50 or so with about 20 of them being relays for fluorescent lights.

I've considered using Insteon for the new areas of the house. But, I'm concerned that the signal suck from 50 Insteon devices will kill my X10 reliability (even though I have an XTB-IIR).

One issue with using X10 is that Leviton non-dimming switches (HCS10-1SW) are EXPENSIVE (relative to Insteon non-dimmers. )

I did find some decent pricing on some PCS switches (RS115) -- anyone have an opinion on these switches?

So... what would you suggest?

- Stick with X10 and use PCS switches

- Stick with X10 and buy the leviton switches even though they're expensive

- Go with Insteon for the new stuff (all -- dimming and non-dimming)

- Go with Insteon for just the non-dimming switches

Thanks for your help!

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch
Loading thread data ...

If you are satisfied with the performance of your X10 system just use Leviton 6291 units at $30 each instead of the $47 HCS10-1SW switches. They are very reliable and less expensive than Insteon switches. As for the signal sucking from a lot of Insteon switches, yes, that can be a problem but the XTB-IIR can handle it. However, I say that based on my system with about 40 Insteon devices and you may end up with more.

The 6291's are not "true rocker" switches but I have never had one fail so you can save yourself over $330 by using them. ($29.95 vs $46.67 at

formatting link

Mitch wrote:

Reply to
BruceR

I'm running 60 Insteon devices and my pre-existing X10 devices were not affected. I have no X10 signal amp, repeaters, filters or passive bridge. But all the Insteaon devices are on a separate 8 breaker 60 amp electrical sub-panel feeding a basement remodel and home addition. All the old X10 is on the main home panel branches. It seems ok to mix these two technologies, especially since the Insteon devices are bi-prototol. I have not experienced signal suck, yet I have up to 12 devices on some of the breakers.

Reply to
RickH

at

formatting link
> I have about 50-60 X10 modules (a lot are smarthome, some are Leviton)

"Satisfied" is a bit of an overstatement. One of the things I really like about the Insteon is the 2-way comm (I use 2-way Leviton X10 devices sparingly in my current setup).

One thing I know is my wife won't be happy with switches that aren't "true rocker" style (we had them in our previous house...)

In addition to the 40 or so Insteon switches, how may X10 devices do you have? I could probably keep my implementation to under 40 Insteon by using X10 dimmers wherever I can.

Any experience with the PCS relay switches (RS115)?

Thanks again!

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

Mitch wrote: snip

Mitch, I just did a count and I actually have 55 Insteon devices plus a few controllers and probably less than five X10 devices left. I've never used the PCS switches due to their cost. Your best bet might be the Insteon switches if the 6291's won't do it for you. The Insteon switches will work as X10 until you're ready to step up to Insteon control. Smarthome will give you $5 back for every Insteon switch you buy if for each X10 switch (working or not) you send back.

Reply to
BruceR

Ok, so do you think I should add all Insteon in the new section (relays and dimmers) or stick with X10 for the dimmer to keep the number of signal suckers to a minimum?

Many thanks for your help, Bruce!

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

snip

IIRC, you have an XTB-IIR. If that's wrong you should get one. Then, if you add Insteon dimmers the signal sucking problem won't be a problem and you'll have the benefit of a standardized look in the new area and be positioned to move to Insteon control, or a combo of Insteon and X10, when or if you need or want to. So, yes, since there is not a big cost difference, I'd go with all Insteon to protect your investment.

If you ever do want to add Insteon control, based on what's available today, I would recommend a Universal Devices ISY-99i(r) (or an ISY-26 which pops up on ebay from time to time). UD's ISY line is the best Insteon controller I have tried to date and does not require a PC to operate. It will send and respond to both X10 and Insteon signals and is very well supported by the people at UD. They are constantly adding features and functions to improve it and are very receptive to suggestions. It has a web interface so you can access it from any PC, PDA or cellphone with web access.

I know that my advice is somewhat contradictory; I say that if you have an XTB-IIR you don't need Insteon or other protocols because it solves virtually all X10 problems and, on the other hand I tell you to buy the X10/Insteon capable products so you have Insteon available. If there were a significant premium for buying the dual protocol devices my advice would be to save your money. However, at the current price level for Insteon devices you might as well "future-proof" and get it as there may be areas in your home that Insteon will reach in the unlikely event that the XTB-IIR won't.

Reply to
BruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.