ActiveHome and DST "tricks"?

Hello ALL:

I was wondering if there were any "tricks" to using ActiveHome 3.42 and DST.

Here is the issue.

I put in the DST dates. DST is required if the Dawn/Dusk times are going to be correct. However, once DST is in effect, it adds 1 hour to the system time. The software should realize that if DST is already in effect, that the system time is already correct, and the time uploaded to the CM11A would be the same as the System time!

I can, of course uncheck DST, but then the CM11A clock is correct but Dawn/Dusk is wrong.

I get around this by keeping DST checked and before any updates to the CM11A I set the system time back 1 hour. This is a pain to remember and if I forget the lights come on 1 hour early! Anyone know if there was ever a fix to this, a way around this, or another program I should try? This is, after all, only a CM11A and has very little memory. I mention this as it does not make sense to get a program like HomeSeer that cost a lot more than the CM11A.

TIA

Reply to
MPSAN
Loading thread data ...

I have the same issue as you.

My solution is to forget the DST setting and simply update the time in the spring and fall. I know it defeats the purpose, but I couldn't resolve the time changes when trying to use the DST feature.

Maybe someone else will have a better solution.

Reply to
Rich

Rich, the problem is that if you ignore DST settings then Dusk/Dawn will be wrong. I think that what I am doing is the only work around. ie: set system to 1 hour early and then update CM11A with DST set. Then the CM11A clock is correct and dusk/dawn is good. After I disconnect the CM11A I then set the XP System clock ahead 1 hour again and all is OK. It is OK if I do not connect the CM11A again and do an update and forget the above "fix".

Reply to
MPSAN

OK, my thinking was that the CM11A will apply the dusk/dawn calculation to whatever time it has. If you tell it is 6pm and dusk is 7pm then it will activate at 7pm. It doesn't need to know DST because it isn't calculating dusk (or dawn) at DST time, rather it uses whatever time it has.

I could be wrong on this, so I will check my unit tomorrow and see if it switches my lights on at dusk. I currently have DST unchecked and have sync' ed my CM11A with my PC which has DST.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I checked the time of dusk activation for 12 April. My lights switch on at about 7:30pm and the civil twilight for this date is 7:31 for my area.

So I stand by my statement below.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Well, I can check again, but had thought that it was wrong when I had DST off.

Reply to
MPSAN

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.