500 Watt X10Appl Module Handle 500 Watt Halogen Lamp OK?

Sorry if this is common knowledge or in a FAQ somewhere, I couldn't find it for sure.

I've got some 500 Watt halogen work lights. I'd like to set them up in my back yard for an ice rink for the kids this winter. I'd like to be able to control them with X10 Appliance modules.

Would it be safe to use appliance module rated at 500 watts? Or should I be looking for something higher capacity? if it is available.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks Dave

Reply to
news.eastlink.ca
Loading thread data ...

Cold weather will generally work against you with mechanical, relay-based switches such an appliance module and for you with TRIAC (semiconductor) based modules.

The Safe Operating Area (SOA -- "safe" in this context refers to longevity of the semiconductor) of the TRIAC used is based on an assumed ambient temperature 40+ degrees F higher than your operating temperature. I would not be overly concerned about using a RIAC-based module at its rated wattage in below freezing weather.

(I went to Ido Bartana 's site at

formatting link
to see what the maximum rated capacity and specific devices used in TRIAC-based modules and found that the documented, gratuitous, self-serving, flagrant plagiarism at
formatting link
has still not been removed after 5 years. I left the site in disgust without answering my question. Some folks have no scruples.)

Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.