$50 long-range active RFID for HA

There has been considerable interest in long-range active Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) for use with home automation systems.

One can get a set of active (315 MHz or 433MHz) RFID receiver (with RS-232 interface) and transmitter PCBs with a claimed range of 8 meters (keyfob)

40 meters (car accessory) for about $50 depending on device, enclosures and antenna chosen.

formatting link
And here are complete ' CheaperRFID ' devices:

formatting link
And the Hong Kong supplier
formatting link
These devices reportedly send a four-digit alpha-numeric signature that takes 11 milliseconds to transmit every 2.5 seconds with CR2025 (coin) battery life of ~5000 hours.

User guide, FAQ, VB demo ActiveX control are available zipped up here:

formatting link

There is an active Homeseer forum about these devices and HS plug-in development:

formatting link

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult
Loading thread data ...

What good is it for home automation? Are you going to make everybody wear badges?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges! :)

Reply to
AZ Woody

Might you mean: "Badges? We ain't got no badges." ? as said by Gold Hat, played by Alfonso Bedoya, in the John and Walter Huston/Bogart 1948 film _The Treasure of the Sierra Madre_ ?

With RFID, we'd know whether he _did_ actually have one, wouldn't we ? ;-)

According to someone who apparently keeps track of such things in the HomeSeer forum on the CheapRFID, there were 600 posts and ~16,000 reads on the topic since November 2006 (!).

Open-field range with $4 antenna is about 300 feet (up to 750 feet reported) for the "40 meter" device and somewhat less for the "8 meter" version.

formatting link
... Marc Marc_F_Hult
formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

No, he was referring to Mel Brooke's "Blazing Saddles". :-)

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Delaney

formatting link
Mongo only pawn... in game of life.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Ah so ... BS came out in 1977 almost 40 years after the book (1935) which was much more, ... hmmm ... 'emphatic' than the language of even the 1948 movie ;-)

"Badges, to ^%!-$%%$#&! ^%$# with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you &^%-^%$^&! ^&%!$% and &^%$& tu madre! Come out there from that ^%$&-%$#^ of yours. I have to speak to you."

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

In UHF it was "Badgers? We don need no stinkin badgers...!" refering to an animal welfare TV show put on by the local station...

but I digress...

Beamer Smith Y2K complient since 2351

Reply to
Beamer Smith

Tonight, on Law and Order SVU, a man drugged his wife and then inserted an (unsterile) RFID chip in her shoulder to keep tabs on her. Not very plausible, but entertaining since "America's Funniest Home Video" former host Bob Saget was the technocrazed jealous husband obsessed with keeping tabs on his wife.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

'

I know what RFID means, and what Nixon meant by Law and Order, but where can I find the "America's Funniest Home" video ? Where is the home? Was it funny because it was automated? That would be novel! An automated house of laughs .. kinda like this newsgroup at times ;-)

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

There's a driver for CQC for it. The one guy I know of who uses this does so to remind him to take the trashcans to the curb on garbage night, so he doesn't have to race out at 6:30am when the trucks show up.

Reply to
IVB

Good to hear. All it requires is being able to parse an ASCII string on a conventional RS-232 port.

CQS is accumulating support for many devices. (I _do_ wish it had Napco.

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.