$20 Insteon dimmer switch

formatting link
There's a non-dimming version, too.

formatting link
I couldn't find a comparison chart listing similarities/differences with the higher priced SwitchLinc V2 line.

Reply to
Dave Houston
Loading thread data ...

Too bad that I did not know about Icon line of switches a month ago. I just bought over $3,000 worth of Insteon switches. Even with 10% discount Smarthome gave me, may be I would have saved a lot of money. Only difference I see is that Icon has less memory and lacks the LED indicator for brightness level.

Based on replacing 8 X10 switches used to control CFL lights, I have found the following:

1. Insteon switches are quilt easy to install and configure.
  2. Any switch can also be a one button controller. It can control not only the load connected to it but also other switches linked to it. Linking is a very simple procedure. This makes multi-way switching very easy.
  3. With X10, the lights in one of my bedrooms could not be reliably controlled from a controller in my living room. With an Insteon Keypadlinc, it works every time. I tested this by assigning the same X10 address to a button on the Keypadlic and the switch in bedroom. If I unlink the two and use only the X10, it does not work. When I link the two, it works every time.

Ultimately, I expect to end up with about 50 switches controlling about 80 lights. I hope Insteon will work better than X10. IMHO Insteon controller with only 5 sets of buttons is not enough. There should be at least 16 as in X10 controller. I also can't wait for Insteon motion detector.

Reply to
Manny Bhuta

Manny,

From comparing the specification pages in the Icon & V2 user manuals, the Icon has only a 1 year warranty and does not support programmable ramp rates. The clear plastic housing probably costs less also. I think these will likely be the biggest sellers. There's really no need for programmable ramp rates for most switches and you can always use the more expensive models where it is desired.

While waiting for Insteon motion detectors, etc., the two-way Insteon/X10 translator should help you continue to use the X10 versions. Bruce Robin should be telling us how well it works before the end of the year.

My only experience was with a loaner starter kit but I also felt the tabletop controller could do with more buttons. It's a rather bulky unit for so few buttons.

Keep us apprised of your experience with Insteon. I'm sure there are many wanting to hear from "hands on" users. I'm eager to learn whether my initial views based on my limited tests will be borne out in widespread use.

If they prove reliable and the $20 price isn't just an introductory promo, I think PCS will rue going the premium price route with UPB.

For those watch>Too bad that I did not know about Icon line of switches a month ago. I just

Reply to
Dave Houston

Ahh yes, All Agony Airlines (from USAir's former moniker Allegheny Airlines). The kept me waiting plenty back then!

Fedex reports that my Insteon Translator is here and on the truck for a Tuesday Delivery. More exciting that Christmas (this) morning! Even my wife is excited that we soon have more reliability from Insteon.

Merry Christmas everybody!!

Reply to
BruceR

X-No-archive: yes On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:57:42 GMT, "BruceR" used recycled pixels to say:

{snipped}

Is anyone still going to do a test on X-10 Signals jamming the wires while sending an Insteon command to see if the "Insteon Only" setting ignores X-10?

Merry Christmas and have a Happy Holiday!

------------------------------------------------ Autobot This Spammers!

mailto:postmaster@127.0.0.1 (to reply to actual address, dispense the dots before and after sirname.

Reply to
The Alien

Sure, I'll do that. Should be fairly easy to set up. Me thinks that it should work because there's 10kHz seperation between X10 and Insteon so it's sort of like two TV stations (X10 & Insteon Transmitters) on the same cable with two TV sets tuned to the different stations (X10 & Insteon modules). I'll plug in my X10 test signal generator which sends a constant stream of on and off signals and try sending some Insteon commands while it's running. I may then try the same test using UPB since I have their starter kit here too.

Reply to
BruceR

X-10 certainly cannot handle a strong noise signal within ±10kHz of its

120kHz carrier but I think there's a good chance Insteon may be able to handle it. Page 35 of the Insteon whitepaper implies that it can.

If it does, it will answer all questions about Insteon's noise immunity. If it doesn't I may try to borrow another starter kit and devise some other tests.

It seems that the translator selectively translates >Sure, I'll do that. Should be fairly easy to set up. Me thinks that it

Reply to
Dave Houston

Yes, exactly my thought too. The translator will not be plugged in for the initial test but I will repeat the test again after it's installed. I plan on testing with the X10 constant signal plugged in at the same outlet as the receiver and again at other locations if Insteon fails the first one. I'll try the same tests with the UPB tabletop controller and modules too. Any thoughts on whether I should switch off the X10 repeater? I'm thinking it should stay on. If Insteon fails I can try again with it off. I will note the X10 signal strength and noise using the ACT 004 Signal Tester at the receiver location for each test. Another test I'll do will be to send signals from known bad X10 locations. For example, X10 signals sent from my bathroom will not be received outside of the bathroom more than 90% of the time (I've yet to figure out why). If Insteon solves that problem I will be duly impressed. Again, I'll try UPB on this too. Any other tests or conditions that might be useful? Of course, I can redo or expand the tests based on the results. I'll be running these tests Tuesday night Hawaii Time which will be the wee hours for most of the mainland so you'll have the results with your morning coffee.

Reply to
BruceR

I don't think the repeater will repeat Insteon so it should not matter whether it's on or off for the tests. And, as you indicated, you can always try it both ways. A passive coupler should couple Insteon about as well as it couples X-10.

I expect UPB to function well but think Insteon will do just as well and offer more devices with much better prices.

Your signal strength meter should also give you a read>Yes, exactly my thought too. The translator will not be plugged in for

Reply to
Dave Houston

Back to oringinal topic -

From Smarthome, Switchlinc V2 and ICON dimmer comparison -

(I included only the features that DIFFER between the two switches)

SwitchLinc V2 Dimmer 2476D Maximum Load: 600W INSTEON Scenes: 417 Status LED: Yes (1 white - customizable to blue, red, green, amber Color Change Kit) Brightness indicator: Yes 8 White LEDs Customizable Brightness indicator: Yes - customizable to blue, red, green, and amber Color Change Kit Included paddles: White and ivory Adjustable Ramp Rate(s): Yes - levels from .1 to 9 minutes X10 Scenes: 64 Warranty: 2 years (upgradeable to 7 years)

ICON Dimmer Switch 2876DB Maximum Load: 300W INSTEON Scenes: 30 Status LED: Yes ( 1 green) Brightness indicator: No Customizable Brightness indicator: No Included paddles: White only Adjustable Ramp Rate(s): No - .1 second only X10 Scenes: 0 Warranty: 1 year

Reply to
James Himmelman

Thanks for that comparison - maybe Smarthome will copy it for their catalog. Looks like the Icon will meet all of my needs as I prefer to create scenes with macros.

Reply to
BruceR

Dave:

I just bought two along with two Insteon V2 dimmers. The major difference is that the ICON dimmer does not have the 8 LEDs, just one. Also, it supposedly stores fewer scenes. But, it's two-way and is compatible with both X10 and Insteon. Both work very nicely. It says on the web that the ICON is rated for 300W and the Insteon V2 is 600 W. But, looking at the packages of both (which look amazingly similar), both are rated at 600W. I'm buying a bunch more of the ICONs! Very nice deal.

Craig

Reply to
CeeDub

While I agree about the better prices, I'm not so sure about the more devices part. I'm currently using UPB right now specifically because I need the fixture modules and I/O modules that allow me to integrate all kinds of things into my HA system. Insteon doesn't have these things, and I'm not even sure how they could make a fixture module work, since you have to touch a device to set it up.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

I'm sure I/O modules will appear simply because the Insteon protocol is better suited for data than is the UPB protocol. I think someone will likely marry an Insteon switch or module with the Allegro current sensor chips - it's a natural.

As to fixture modules - what the devil is a fixture module? ;)

I'm wondering whether SmartHome will have Insteon versions of their ToggleLinc switches. I'm slowly getting my brain reprogrammed to deal with the spring-loaded, center-off toggle of the switch I put in one bathroom to control an old fluorescent fixture.

Reply to
Dave Houston

The kind you hardwire into a junction box or other inaccessible place.

An X-10 example:

formatting link
A UPB version:
formatting link
I use these in several places, and don't see how they can make an Insteon one work. How would you enter setup mode? You can't push a button.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

I received my Insteon order yesterday but didn't get to do the tests last night (fell asleep from all the excitement after dinner). I'll be playing with it later today though and should have some results tonight.

formatting link

Reply to
BruceR

One of the Insteon guys was soliciting ideas about this in one of the HA fora (don't remember which one; probably Cocoontech or AccessHA). I don't remember any specific responses, just that none of them struck me as being an ideal solution.

Failing anything else, it can be done through software on a computer with an Insteon powerline interface. That's how you'd want to do linking in any sizeable Insteon installation anyway.

- Dennis Brothers

Reply to
Dennis Brothers

Oh, an inline module - that I understand. ;)

I really don't see this as an insurmountable problem. You only need to enroll a device once (assuming the Insteon devices don't lose their mind with brownouts) so you can do it before closing the j-box.

They could also print the ID number on the device and you could enroll it through other means.

Reply to
Dave Houston

I've run my first test with an Insteon ICON switch and controller with disappointing results. I installed the repeaters per the instructions and one ICON In Wall On/Off (2876S) switch that controls a porch light. I linked that switch to an Insteon Tabletop Controller and verified that it works from several outlets. The real test was to see if it worked from my bathroom where I could never control the X10 switch that was in place prior to the Insteon. I plugged the controller in, pressed the button and... No Joy.

Next step is to call them and discuss the result to see if they have any suggestions. Stay tuned.

Reply to
BruceR

Bruce,

Any X-10 meter (e.g. ESM1) should report the Insteon signal as noise. You can use it as a measure of signal strength.

Is the bathroom outlet GFI?

"BruceR" wrote:

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.