ZoneAlarm question, trusted zone

If my computer is on a LAN, behind a NAT router with a hardware firewall.... then what settings should I have for ZoneAlarm Firewall/Zones first entry, the one for my own computer which has entry type "Adapter Subnet" and ip address "192.168.0.5/255.255.255.0", should it be "trusted"? I am guessing that it should be, since all LAN ips on that subnet should be trusted, shouldn't they?

What I have done hitherto is make that an 'internet' untrusted zone value, and individually trust each computer (but not all) on my LAN ..... but that approach while working could be simplified by merely making the "Adapter Subnet" entry trusted?

(just tell me what I know already in other words, unless I've got it wrong!)

Reply to
omni
Loading thread data ...

To have all the PCs on your LAN 'trusted' you need to add a Subnet entry for 192.168.0/255.255.255.0 and it's security setting should be at Medium. That is the default and should be added if you have it set to add new networks. Is that what you're after?

Regards

Bill

Reply to
phoenix

I think I have the same setup you have, and the ZoneAlarm setup wizard has always picked up the 192.168 etc. local network and asked should it go in the trusted zone, and I've said yes, and that was that. Subnet came along with it automagically --never had to type anything in. In any case I don't think you want it in the Internet zone.

Ma No

Reply to
Ma No

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.