Zonealarm Free - V5 or V6?

I'm currently running the free version of ZA 5.5.094.000. When I click on "check for update" it tells me I have the latest version. however, I notice from the ZA web site that you can download version 6.0.631.002 - why does my ZA not detect there's a newer version? Also, does anyone know if there are any problems with V6 ?

Reply to
Sam
Loading thread data ...

No problems with 6 that I have heard.. Who knows why the update check doesn't work. Just download 6 manually and install it.

Reply to
Kerodo

I installed the free 6 on one machine here and didn't see much new. I think most of the changes are in the Pro 6 version. In that case there are the anti-spyware features and the "OS Firewall" and so on. The free version seems to have remained pretty much the same..

Reply to
Kerodo

Thanks. I shall do. Looking at the ZA site, there doesn't seem to be a lot ofdifference between these versions, though.

Reply to
Sam

Thanks.

Reply to
Sam

I just installed version 6 over 5.5 and it buggered my system up rightly, not just the settings went mental but it slowed things down to a crawl. I'll stick with 5.5 for a while yet.

Reply to
Wattsville Blues

Same problem here. Slowed machine to a crawl. Removed program and reinstalled and that seems to clear it up for AZ pro

rq

Reply to
RQ

Same here. version 6 sucks. My computer suddenly stops for over a minute every so often and then starts again.

Does anyone know if you can uninstall 6 and reinstall 5.5? Last time I tried going back a version number, it was not possible because ZA left registry entries that messed up the previous version.

CD

Reply to
Cranky Dude

Yes you can. Do a clean uninstall of 6.0 first. The directions are here

formatting link
Ma

Reply to
Ma No

I also installed version 6 over 5.5, and it also has buggered my system up. How do I revert back to 5.5 without losing all my settings? In particular, my license key is stored in my Linksys router, and I want to be sure ZoneAlarm Pro will continue to detect it.

Any help much appreciated.

Reply to
Jonathan Ball

X-No-Archive: Yes

The problem it's given me is for some reason it won't allow my workstations to upload their roaming profiles. I have profile caching turned off on the workstations, but it doesn't delete them either.

It's caused me no end of trouble so far.

Reply to
Robert de Brus

formatting link
Download 5.5 from there. Uninstall 6, and when you install 5 your serial code should still be there.

Reply to
Wattsville Blues

After I posted my message, I found the DonHoover page about a clean uninstall, deleting all the files, etc., and did that. I still had the 5.5.094 installation file, so I reinstalled it. Now *it* also won't work with my wireless. The wireless adapter used to have no problem getting an IP address from the Linksys router; now it won't.

Reply to
Jonathan Ball

Jonathan Ball wrote: > After I posted my message, I found the DonHoover page about a clean

Last thing I can think of is a System Restore. I know very little about firewalls to be honest, however.

Reply to
Wattsville Blues

Before uninstalling ver 6 and doing a clean install of ver 5, I backed up all my settings, as Zone Alarm provides. After I installed ver 5 again, I restored the settings from the backup file. But there must have been some bad values in the backup file from when it was at ver 6. I did a clean uninstall and reinstall of ver 5 again, and this time I didn't import the settings. It's now working correctly.

Reply to
Jonathan Ball

before i install anything...new software or updates...i perform an image backup of the drive for just these sorts of situations. just an idea for you.

73, rich, n9dko
Reply to
Rich

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.