ZoneAlarm bundled in Windows 2000 Pro

I just installed W2K pro (SP4) on a new computer. I also installed sygate personal firewall on it. My surprise is that the firewall reported activity from zonealarm.exe, which appears on the task manager list.

My question is if zonealarm.exe (in the folder c:\\WINNT\\SYSTEM32) came bundled with W2K and if it can be disabled (why having 2 firewalls?)

Thanks.

Reply to
Pablo Rodriguez
Loading thread data ...

Zonealarm doesn't come bundled with and version of Windows? It's also not installed in the System32 folder. Is this 'zonealarm' running? Does it look like the real zonealarm? What are the properties of the .exe?

Regards

Bill

Reply to
phoenix

My guess is you have either a trojan or a virus which you caught by connecting your computer to the internet without a firewall. Zone alarm does not install itself in system32.

Google search suggests you have W32.Spybot.Worm

Disconnect from the internet and clean your machine.

Reply to
Mike

Pablo Rodriguez said in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

So how did you *install* Windows XP Pro? From a Microsoft CD? Or just by leaving whatever was on the hard drive when you "acquired" it (which might mean you have a pirated copy of Windows)?

Reply to
*Vanguard*

leaving whatever was on the hard drive when you "acquired" it (which might mean you have a pirated copy of Windows)?

vanguard, if you had read the OP's posting carefully, you would have noticed that he says he installed Windows 2000 SP4, NOT Windows XP Pro. He really didnt need to qualify the Windows 2000 version with "Pro", since that is the only version of Windows 2000 existing. Donald L McDaniel Post all replies to the Newsgroup, so that all may be informed. Remove the obvious to reply by email. ===============================================================

Reply to
Donald McDaniel

"Donald McDaniel" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

So replace "Windows XP" with "Windows 2000", then repeat the question. I'm bouncing around lots of newsgroups and often end up with several posts open at a time while I research some of them.

Since ZA isn't on the Windows CD (*any* flavor of Windows), I was probing to find out how ZA was "bundled" with Windows. It would not have gotten installed with the install of Windows. If it was another CD in a package that had both Windows and ZA then the OP had to install it and that's why it is on his hard drive (although I cannot verify the path to the file was correct for ZA but the path where it was found is suspicious although perhaps it is possible the user actually changed the default path and specified that one). If the OP downloaded it then, again, the OP did the install and would know how it got there.

If it just automagically appeared without the OP ever installing themself, and since it is not on the Windows CD to get included in that install, and since the OP doesn't mentioning having a separate CD for it or downloaded it to install it, then it would appear to be an infection. The OP didn't mention doing a full scan using a recently updated anti-virus product, but then they might not have thought of doing that because the OP figured the zonealarm.exe was for the real ZoneAlarm.

Reply to
*Vanguard*

After reading your posts, I think it's an infection, although AVG antivirus (most recent version downloaded on the weekend and updated yesterday) didn't find any.

I killed the process in taskmanager, renamed the .exe file and removed every registry entry.

Apparently everything is working fine and zonealarm is not loading anymore (according to taskmanager).

Thanks to all.

Reply to
Pablo Rodriguez

ZoneAlarm is never bundled with either Windows 2000 or Windows XP (unless his Windows was an OEM version which installed a version of ZoneAlarm when the OS was installed.)

If a file named "ZoneAlarm" was running on his system, he put it there. If he did not intentionally install an authentic copy of ZoneAlarm, it is obvious that it is most definitely a virus, trojan, or some other form of malware.

Donald L McDaniel Post all replies to the Newsgroup, so that all may be informed. Remove the obvious to reply by email. ===============================================================

Reply to
Donald McDaniel

*cough*2000 Server*cough*
Reply to
neuro

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.