Zonealarm blocking all UDP servers

I'm having trouble getting Zonealarm to allow traffic to applications that serve on UDP. In particular I am noticing this on two games: Starsiege: Tribes and Quake II, and noticing it in a P2P program called eMule (using a network called Kademlia).

The applications are set to be allowed to act as servers, and they were working before I installed the firewall. I am also able to get traffic to servers on TCP, including my web server and my FTP server. The firewall is only causing problems to UDP.

The setting "Allow uncommon protocols at high security" in the firewall tab under "Advanced" did nothing. I'm not sure what that does, but would like to know.

Reply to
beatme101
Loading thread data ...

I'm having trouble getting Zonealarm to allow traffic to applications that serve on UDP. In particular I am noticing this on two games: Starsiege: Tribes and Quake II, and noticing it in a P2P program called eMule (using a network called Kademlia).

The applications are set to be allowed to act as servers, and they were working before I installed the firewall. I am also able to get traffic to servers on TCP, including my web server and my FTP server. The firewall is only causing problems to UDP.

The setting "Allow uncommon protocols at high security" in the firewall tab under "Advanced" did nothing. I'm not sure what that does, but would like to know.

Reply to
beatme101

You have a router with hardware firewall? Then you don't need ZoneAlarm running when playing those games. If you are on XP or Vista you don't need ZoneAlarm at all, just use the OS firewall. I only use ZoneAlarm on a Win2K box that has no built in firewall.

Reply to
John Adams

Thanks for the response, but actually, I managed to fix it myself while I was waiting (I've been working on this all day). I had to adjust the security slider from high to medium.

I have a hardware firewall (router), but I had so many services, and it was starting to not properly forward ports, so I decided to use the DMZ option and open up my computer to the world. So a firewall is a must. And I am on Windows 2000 Professional (favourite Windows version, wouldn't dare put any other on my system unless in a virtual machine), doesn't come with a firewall.

Reply to
beatme101

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.