ZoneAlarm and W2000 (and XP) users

Hi, I did the latest update of ZA (freeware) as Administrator (vs.

6.5.722.0). The trouble is that after this installation (with the settings taken from the previous installation) blocks numerous connections like SpamFighter's updater, Outlook's pop and smtp servers, when other users than Administrator are using the PC. In the previous version of ZA, all users had the ZA icon in the system tray and they were asked (as ordered) to allow or deny unusual connections (not being incorporated in the settings defined by me as Admin). Allthough the non-Admin users have no icon in the system tray, ZA-client is running, which can be seen in the Task Manager. This is an odd behaviour of ZA, since I did the previous installations (updates) likewise, but didn't have this problem. Probably it's easy to fix this as an Admin, but I don't know HOW. E.g. I copied the ZoneLabs folder to the Programs folder of D&S -> All Users, but this didn't help. On a XP-machine I encounter more or less the same problem, however, Outlook is not disturbed in this situation (but switching of the PC hangs it and other users [all with admin-rights] have no ZA-icon in the system tray either), so less urgent to solve.Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply to
oriolus
Loading thread data ...

If you would read the postings of the last weeks here, you could see:

Zone Alarm => trouble.

Please try to find a solution for this problem yourself.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

This is well known bug=B9 of Zonealarm 6.5 (they knew it BEFORE=B2 they released 6.5).

=B9 Occasionally ZA icon don't appear in System tray, occasionally it appears. When there is no ZA icon in System tray, Alerts do not pop up (you cannot tell to ZA that if program should block or allow), and you cannot open GUI.

If you try launch ZA, you get error message "Windows cannot access the peripherals, the path or the specified file. Perhaps you don't have the rights to access this element.", even with System Administrator privileges.

=B2 I was in open beta program, and I have reported this problem to Zonelabs, submit logs when they requested it, twice. This was in beta stage. Suddenly they released 6.5, without fixing that bug.

I have told above in Zonelabs forum, and now I'm banned, so truth must hurts a lot :) I switched ZAP to Outpost Pro.

Reply to
bittien.kierratys

In other words, you replaced one questionable concept with another ;-)

Feel free to read some second opinions on personal firewalls:

formatting link
/B. Nice

Reply to
B. Nice

Maybe, but that is not topic.

Reply to
bittien.kierratys

And a discussion in Usenet is not bound to a topic.

Anyway, this group contains "security" and "firewall", so your problems with your Personal Network Disco are off-topic here.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Hey,

I haved solved the problem that ZA doesn't appear in the system tray, by a simple trick.

Just remove ZA client from the startup list in registry (by msconfig), then add it into common start group (in start menu).

It works. I think it is because ZA cannot load before some system drivers load.

Tommy

Reply to
Tommy

One reason, perhaps, for the sorry state of Usenet. ;-)

Reply to
Iceman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.