XP SP2 Firewall S/W?

Hi. I will be setting up a home network soon. It's driven by Verizon DSL and will have two nodes: my PC and my wife's Mac. My modem/router supports NAT (Westell Versalink 327W).

My OS is Windows XP Home. I currently have SP1. I've been hesitant to upgrade to SP2, because I've heard that some software has trouble working on that. Should I stop worrying and upgrade? I'm asking on this newsgroup, because I've heard that SP2 has some built-in firewall software that perhaps I could find useful.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken

Reply to
Ken
Loading thread data ...

You should keep up to date with all SP(s) and security patches. I have applied the SP2 to two machines and they went like a champ several months ago. By now, I would think all glitches concerning applications running with SP2 have been corrected.

And as far new features on the XP, the only thing it does now is get to the TCP/IP connection first at boot and protect it. 3rd party solutions cannot do it. But what do you care, since you're behind a NAT router?

formatting link
The above is on the O/S too if you're looking for more robust features that can supplement a PFW, NAT router or FW appliance to stop inbound or outbound traffic.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Doesn't the SP2 firewall allow file / printer sharing and the SP1 firewall did not?

Reply to
DanR

Well, any PFW/packet filter solution will allow MS F&P if one knows what ports to open to allow traffic.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.