XP Computer does not appear in Network Places

My computer does not appear in Network Places. Even though it is configured for file and printer sharing, and the XP firewall is set to allow this activity, the computer is not listed. I therefore cannot map a shared drive from another computer on the network.

I seem to remember running a utility that set something in the registry that "increased my security" and pulled me from the visible network. Of course, I cannot remember the instruction and certainly cannot undo it without further help.

Help.

Howard Shachter

Reply to
Howard
Loading thread data ...

"Howard" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Have you tried mapping to the ip address of the computer?

Reply to
Wilykiote

I get a "folder does not appear to be valid" message

Reply to
Howard

"Howard" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

try this: With a simple registry change, it is possible to hide all other computers from the Network Neighborhood view. This does not change the ability of the computer to access other computers in the workgroup or domain, it just prevents them from appearing in Network Neighborhood. This can be a handy security measure, or can be useful for those "power users" who like to nose around. Here is the change to make:

Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER Key: SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Policies\\Network Name: NoWorkgroupContents and/or NoEntireNetwork Data Type: REG_SZ Value: 1

You may have to create the entry, if it doesn't exist. Always use caution when editing the registry (a backup is recommended first).

Remember to change the one to a Zero

Reply to
Wilykiote

Reply to
boo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.