Which is the best firewall appliance for me ?

Hi,

I'm looking for a firewall appliance to install between two internal networks. I suggested a Linux box with iptables and two NICs but the company I'm working for doesn't like home made solutions, they explicitly want a hardware firewall to partition the internal network. I need something simple though (no VPN since there is no external access...), easy to configure and relatively standard.

Can you help ?

Thanks.

-- Richard Béneyt snipped-for-privacy@akising.com

Reply to
Richard Béney
Loading thread data ...

You didn't provide much information to work with.

If you want an appliance, look at WatchGuard, the x700 series and above, I love them.

Reply to
Leythos

Easy to configure and a big name in network security products is the Check Point Safe@Office. You can find information and compare prices here:

formatting link
. I think's it's cheaper than the WatchGuard but I could be wrong.

Reply to
TechGrrl

formatting link

Reply to
K2NNJ

Think carefully about what kinds of protections you want to put between the Internal networks. If you're just filtering ports and IP's, you can use just about anything on the market. I like NetScreens and Fortigates for that, everybody has thier favorites though. Pick one whose interface you like and whose pricing and license structure you like.

If you're doing Intrusion Prevention or Anti-Virus between segments, you should seriously consider the Fortigate. All the Fortigates except the 50A can do HA clustering too, for redundancy and increased performance.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

I think you should look at the Sidewinder G2. from

formatting link
If you are looking for an application layer Firewall. Which I hope that you are looking at!! If you are looking for a UTM (Unified Threat Management security appliance) this is the box that you need.

Fortigates have IPS but when was the last Signiture written? And this statement goes for Cisco, PIX aswell. Look at Cisco Documentation as to what happens to the Speeds when IPS is turned on.

The above Firewalls are Statefull Inspection and do not look at what is going thru the firewall just that the port is open.

Oh and Yea they just aquired CyberGuard! So now they have the best that is on the Market!

Never been hacked. Never been compromised!

Reply to
Security Freak

Hi,

I think u have to clear what all the ports u want access between the two networks. besides that Fortigate is well established and proven Firewall,

Go through this site

formatting link
and deciede what comes in your range. If its small com. then youshould go for Fortigate-50A Go through the datasheets before and decisions.

""All says you are wrong but my blood says itself B+""

Reply to
NETADMIN

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.