Which (free) firewall runs as service

The firewall built into XP.

Reply to
Praxiteles Democritus
Loading thread data ...

"Wim" wrote in news:4327d3d9$0$11061$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl:

I would think any personal FW that runs on the NT based O/S such as XP will be running as a service with the exe being ran as the graphical User interface.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Volker Birk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.uni-ulm.de:

You may be right but they still use a service applicaton at least the ones I have seen such as BlackIce, ZA, Sygate, Kerio even IPsec has a service component and others.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hi all,

Which (free) firewall can be run as a service on Windows XP? In other words: which firewall is already active after powering on the pc but BEFORE logging into XP?

I tried Zonelalarm Pro 6.0, it runs as a service but because of an appearing bug it's no solution for me. Perhaps Sygate?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Wim

You can supplement the XP FW with IPsec that can stop inbound or outbound traffic by port, protocol or IP.

formatting link
You can implement the AnalogX Secpol rules and then learn from those rules. Ipsec using the AnalogX Secpol rules are blocking high ports on downloads. So you either disable Ipsec for the download or you learn to write the rules to open the required ports, which you can view what ports are being used with something like Active Ports (free).

formatting link
Ipsec is very proerful.

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I think, the Windows-Firewall.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Unfortunately you're not right.

BTW: the filtering software has to be a kernel module, if it should work correctly, not only a service.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Is it possible in the XP firewall to set the ip addresses 10.0.0.0 -

10.0.0.255 as "trusted" and block all other ip addresses?
Reply to
Wim

Yes, see

formatting link
Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Yes, Sygate Pro v5.5 b 2710 has a selectable feature "Block All Traffic While the Service is Not Loaded. I suppose Free Sygate v5.6 (still available) has that feature too. Casey

Reply to
Casey Klc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.