What's the LAST IP address I used when I was connected to the Internet (PPPoE, NAT)

I just want to know the last IP address I used, whether or not I'm currently on the Internet, on Windows XP. I'm sure there is a log of this somewhere. What's the best way to get my last assigned PPPoE IP address when I'm behind a router and I'm not currently connected to the Internet?

While connected to the Internet, I know I can go to http://whatsmyipaddressto find the IP address from behind the router - and I know that IP address will show up in this nntp header - but I am curious if there is a way to determine the IP address shown to the Internet without actually going out to the Internet.

Why?

Because I often disconnect from the Internet and I want to see what my LAST IP address was. If I reconnect to the Internet, I'll get the new IP address, not the old IP address.

Also, if I type "winipconfig /all", I get the IP address assigned BY the router to the computer (not TO the router by the PPPoE ISP).

I'll eventually figure this out but maybe you can give me a head start?

What is a convenient way to find the last IP address assigned to your PPPoE router by the ISP from the computer without being on the Internet itself?

Carol

Reply to
Carol Frilegh
Loading thread data ...

If you mean the address of your actual machine as a DHCP client: It is in the registry if it just disconnecte or (probably) if it is expired.

But from below this isn't even what you mean.

It's in the Registry -- and you can you can always type "IPConfig /all" but if you

If you mean the address of the external side of a NAT/Proxy which is what "whatsmyaddress.com" shows.

The NAT/Proxy has NO expression on the internal client and no meaning there when the client isn't using that NAT/Proxy.

BTW: That

formatting link
is invalid and the .net version is marked as DANGEROUS by Google.

formatting link
works however.

You don't really "get" an IP address in this sense but are rather access the Internet THROUGH a NAT (network address translator) which only has meaning WHILE you are doing this.

You get the IP address of the actual computer you are using, whether it was assigned by DHCP or manually.

Don't expect to find it since the computer you are using doesn't KNOW what the NAT was using.

You could however just build a batch file that downloaded something from

formatting link
or some such and then run it while you are connected so you could "look later".

No, and your question is making a false ASSUMPTION: That address was NEVER "ASSIGNED" to your computer.

Reply to
Herb Martin

YOu can't find out unless you have access to the radius log files of your ISP.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Just connect to the router and ask it.

For the one I use, go to your gateway ip, which is usually 192.168.0.1, the internal address of the router log in, look around, somewhere under status it will show all that and a lot more.

Gnerally, the router address is static for a period of days or months. Mine changes about 3 times a year.

Not necessarily. It is a bit different for each dsl or cable provider, but theoretically, each time you disconnect or power down the router/modem you may get a new external ip address. But in practice, often it changes when you change your mac address, or on a cycle. There is a lot of computer overhead matching new ip addresses to customer acount numbers, so they don't do it that often. I have had this ip address (for the router) for over 6 months, through power failures, and cable service being down.

Reply to
Stuart Miller

Getting your current IP address is one thing, if you disconnect, finding what your IP address was is a totally different thing. From the sound of your description, your router connects the PPPoE connection, and you router would have to log this information, or you would have to contact your ISP. By law, in the US, they have to log this information, but in all likelihood unless you are a law enforcement agency with a court order, they do not have to provide it to you. If they did, and I had Dynamic IP addresses, I believe I would find another ISP. I wouldn't want my ISP providing this type of information to anyone, even if they say they are me. If you have a dynamic IP you should expect a reasonable amount of privacy. That said, I own my IP addresses, so this doesn't apply to me because doing a whois lookup on my IP addresses returns my name as the owner of the IP address block.

Reply to
Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Getting your current IP address is one thing, if you disconnect, finding what your IP address was is a totally different thing. From the sound of your description, your router connects the PPPoE connection, and you router would have to log this information, or you would have to contact your ISP. By law, in the US, they have to log this information, but in all likelihood unless you are a law enforcement agency with a court order, they do not have to provide it to you. If they did, and I had Dynamic IP addresses, I believe I would find another ISP. I wouldn't want my ISP providing this type of information to anyone, even if they say they are me. If you have a dynamic IP you should expect a reasonable amount of privacy. That said, I own my IP addresses, so this doesn't apply to me because doing a whois lookup on my IP addresses returns my name as the owner of the IP address block.

Reply to

Reply to

Hello Herb,

That was an inadvertant typo on my part as I was missing an "i". I had meant

formatting link

BTW I like your suggested address because it gives me my hostname - browser versions - operating system - latitude & longitude - net speed - type of ISP - etc. but I like the MAP on the one I suggested which pretty much exactly pinpoints my location for the nuclear missile should I say something the Russian Mafia might not like!

Carol

Reply to
Carol Frilegh

Hello Wolfgang,

I'm sure there is an easy way without the ISP.

Historical IP address information is logged in at least three places of which two are in Windows XP and one is in the router itself that I am checking at the moment based on the suggestions in this newsgroup.

Of course the fourth place the historical IP address is logged is as you said at the ISP but as you said it will not be feasible to obtain the IP address from them.

The trick will be to find the historical IP address used to connect via tcpip to the Internet from within Windows XP itself.

Carol

Reply to
Carol Frilegh

Hello Stuart Miller,

My PPPoE IP provider gives me a one day lease which in practice is hourly because when I power down the modem for anywhere between ten minutes and an hour I get a new IP address so my IP addresses are more dynamic than yours.

Following your advice I connected to the Linksys WRT54G router by going to http://198.162.1.1 and logging in with a blank username and a password of "admin" which got me into the router setup pages.

Clicking on the Linksys WRT54G "Status" bar & clicking on the "Router" tab tells me the IP address currently assigned to the router by the ISP.

But what I want is the historical log of the previous set of IP addresses?

Where do we access the log of historical IP addresses assigned to the router by the ISP?

Carol

Reply to
Carol Frilegh

Hello Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr.,

Following most suggestions which centered around the router log files I just turned on the logging of incoming and outgoing information on my Linksys WRT54G router by logging into http://192.168.1.1 as a blank user with a password of "admin" and then going to the "Administration" "Log" "Enable" section.

I'm pretty sure there are three ways to find the historical IP address information based on all the advice from this newsgroup

1. Find the historical IP address in the Windows XP event logs
  2. Find the historical IP address in the Linksys Router event logs
  3. Save the daily IP address from either WinXP or the router with a script

I'm exploring all three methods at the moment and one will certainly work so I do appreciate all the help you can give and continue to give as I don't see this question asked anywhere else on the Internet.

Carol

BTW, is there any way to change the user name from a blank name to a name like "Carol" on this router? I can only see where to change the password at

Reply to
Carol Frilegh

I know we'll solve this problem which to my knowledge has never been asked before on the Internet as far as I can google.

Unfortunately the router expert's suggestion of querying the Router log files doesn't seem to work for the Linksys WRT54G Router because when I turned on the logs using "Administration" "Log" "Enable" all I got were two log files of incoming and outgoing connections but nothing about the historical IP address assigned to the Router by the PPPoE provider.

Of course we can query the router ahead of time if we knew how because the router always knows the current ip address and we can save that current PPPoE assigned IP address into a log file somehow onto Windows XP.

Do you know WinXP & Routers well enough to query the Linksys WRT54G Router http://192.168.1.1 programatically to login in with a blank login name and a password of "admin" and then obtain the IP address stored in the "Status" "Router" chart?

Carol

Reply to
Carol Frilegh

I know together we will solve this never before asked windows NAT question especially because it seems the Windows System Event Logs store the historical TCPIP IP address used to connect to the Internet somehow long after the connection to the Internet was relinquished.

If I only knew how to obtain this historical IP address information from the Windows Event Viewer programatically.

Manually I can see the IP address today by rightclicking on "My Computer" "Manage" "Event Viewer" "System" and sorting by "Source" and looking for "TCPIP" sources we find the "Computer Management" warning

Warning. Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 000FD451464B. The IP address being used is 69.110.6.202.

The only problem is I see that warning with the IP address only sporadically and I recently patched my TCPIP to allow more than 10 simultaneous connections so I think that warning came when I patched my WinXP TCPIP.

I don't know the Windows Event Viewer very well so I ask are there WinXP experts out there who know under what circumstances we can force the Windows Event Viewer to faithfully record the current IP address assigned to the Router for the PPPoE connection?

Carol

Reply to
Carol Frilegh

Together we will solve this problem as it seems like there are two distinct methods to log the current IP address and then look at that log anytime we want to.

One method seems to be to find on the Internet a script which will go to teh

formatting link
web page and save the one line result of your current IP address.

The other method seems to be to find a script on the Internet which will run the Windows XP "ping -r -1" command as shown on the Router web page

formatting link
However when I tried the suggested "ping -r 1
formatting link
" command on Windows XP I didn't get the same results as suggested.

Here is what I got ====================== C:\\Documents and Settings\\carol>ping -r 1

formatting link
Pinging
formatting link
[69.147.114.210] with 32 bytes of data: Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Request timed out. Ping statistics for 69.147.114.210: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss), C:\\Documents and Settings\\carol>

======================

So we're very close but not yet do we have a Windows XP command which we can script to tell us the current IP address of the PPPoE connection assigned to the NAT Router.

Do you experts know what PING command will work on Windows XP that will report the current IP address assigned to the Linksys WRT54G Router by the PPPoE provider?

Carol

Reply to
Carol Frilegh

After googling these suggestions I now can manually find my current PPPoE IP address assigned to the NAT Router by manually running the two commands below with an extra carriage return after the second command.

C:\\Documents and Settings\\carol> telnet checkip.dyndns.org 80 GET / HTTP/1.0

After hitting the carriage return twice this reports the current IP address assigned to my Router by the PPPoE provider. ================================ HTTP/1.1 200 OK Content-Type: text/html Server: DynDNS-CheckIP/0.2 Connection: close Cache-Control: no-cache Pragma: no-cache Content-Length: 104

Current IP CheckCurrent IP Address:

Connection to host lost. ================================

While I can manually run these two commands I don't know how to script them to run daily logging the historical IP address used over time.

Do any script experts know how to script the two Windows XP manual commands below so that just the current IP address is logged to a file?

1. telnet checkip.dyndns.org 80 (press return once)
  2. Wait a few seconds
  3. GET / HTTP/1.0 (press return twice)
  4. Log the resulting IP address into a log file

Carol

Reply to
Carol Frilegh

Darn, I tried to figure out what was misspelled in that name but missed it -- well, since you like the new I gave that worked out ok.

Ok.

Reply to
Herb Martin

No, because the local machine NEVER sees the NAT server external address.

No because your XP client never saw or even could logged that.

Reply to
Herb Martin

No there is no direct way to get this info -- besides the convoluted scheme I gave you in my first response.

Simpler to just WGet (get a web page) from that site you like with all the other info on it.

Schedule this to run (if you don't want to do it manually) periodically and you will always have the previous one -- up to some reasonable time period.

Reply to
Herb Martin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.