What needs to be done to let a computer from a domain act as a Server out the web?

Hello, It=B4s kinda a newbie question.

My computer is in a domain in my company which communicates to the server with a firewall. Doing some tests with free services in internet, i found the basic opened ports, for example ports 21, 80. But the server is not acting as web server (80) neither a ftp server(21).

What should i do to set up my computer as a web server for example? Is that possible? Actually, another intention of mine is to leave a CVS server in my computer, to let me work with the company files directly from home.

Thanks a lot in advance for any info about that. Marcel

Reply to
mafu0
Loading thread data ...

Problem is outside requests (from outside the Local LAN) wont know where to go. Your going to need to talk to whoever runs the firewall and explain what your trying to do so the necessary ports can be opened/forwarded.

Reply to
Andrew James Alan Welty

"mafu0" wrote in news:1153951549.749923.8010 @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Install and configure apache.

Klazmon.

Reply to
Llanzlan Klazmon

If you do figure out how to do this by asking questions in newsgroups and/or general web research, you'll probably be out of a job.

If your company wants you to be able to access files on its LAN from outside, its IT department will set up an appropriate and secure method for you -- ask them.

Reply to
Lem

---------------------------------------------------------------------------=

----------------------------------------

Hi Marcel,

My understanding is that U want to make your computer like a server, so that U can access that from outside ur company network. i.e. through internet.

In this case,

1=2E U should register ur machine with a unique DNS name. 2=2E Any request comes to that DNS will be resolved to ur server machine. 3=2E The machine should be in DMZ. (De-militerised zone - common authority) 4=2E I believe one DNS can only resolve to one port. 5=2E Suppose if a web server runs on ur machine. 6=2E For example: My.domain.com:2000 7=2E U can register the above host and ip for one DNS name. 8=2E Then this web server will be accessible through internet.

Is that make sense?

Regards, Ran...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------=

----------------------------------------

mafu0 wrote:

Reply to
Ran

------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------

Hi Marcel ,

Just tell your It guys to provide you a VPN users to access the company network . your problems will be solve without any security issue.

Regards Vaibhav

Reply to
narula.vaibhav

Hello, Thanks a lot for all the support.

Actually, i was just wondering if i could set up my computer as a CVS server outside the network without making changes to the server. Ok, not possible. I=B4ve already contacted the IT department.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks again.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

--------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------

Reply to
mafu0

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.