What is a Denial of Service attack?

My Router is telling me that each day I'm getting around six DoS which are being blocked. What is a Denial of Service?

Beemer

Reply to
Beemer
Loading thread data ...

Have you ever seen GOOGLE.COM? Try typing DOS ATTACK in the search box.

Reply to
Leythos

And if it's only 6 you're not really getting a DDOS attack.

Reply to
Jason

DoS isn't limited to DDoS. Remember good'ol Windows 95? A single Ping could bring it down.

Which is most likely something alike the router catched up? Not running such old, vulnerable stuff anymore? Just disable this DoS detection function, it's useless and probably a way to DoS yourself.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

If I recall correctly the simple act of turning on a 95 box could cause it to die. :)

Reply to
jason

A simple ping is enough to take down virtually any modern link if you send enough packets to overwhelm the available bandwidth.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

A Ping is limited to one ICMP segment, thus at best 64K of data. Again, you're referring to bandwidth-flooding.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Not so far, go a month before and remember: Receiving a single ping packet could be enough to provoke a kernel panic in Solaris 10 systems.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Ewert

Hi Beemer,

You may wish to investigate Denial-of-service attack:

formatting link
Furthermore, you may wish to report your incident:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese on Cisco Network World Magazine Cisco Subnet

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

You may also want to checkout the following article

formatting link

Reply to
sherthevog

Yes -- Which by definition is a DoS attack.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

DoS != DDoS

Reply to
kingthorin

No, really? We didn't know that.

Ahh the daily dose of sarcasm. Got to love it.

Reply to
Jason

Ya really, I wouldn't lie. Would this thread exist if everyone involved understood the statement? (Not likely).

Reply to
kingthorin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.